1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Another Flat.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by billyturnip, Jan 22, 2010.

1. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    This is one of the projects I am working on at the moment. A Bavarian Officer of Kürassier-Regiment Prinz Adalbert von Bayern 1847.

Some new challenges on this one so comments and advice welcomed.

Roger.

Attached Files:

2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    You paint fast Roger, very nice start.
    Carl.
  3. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Roger, great start , I like the painting of the metals and nice choice for the horse colour. (y)

Cheers Ken
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks fella's :)

Roger.
  5. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Roger,

Nice start, what did you use for the Cuirass? I've been told never to use metalic paints on flats...not sure why....how do you approach it?

Keith
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Hello Keith. Yeah, I've been told the same thing.... so I don't. I s'pose you can do what you want but it's fun learning something new.

For the steel cuirass I used Andrea Black, White, Light Blue and Slate Grey in varying mixes (Sorry can't be much more specific than that) but the trick was to use very thin washes to blend the different shades together. It's a slow process but seems to have worked ok.

Roger.
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great, absolutely great start Roger.
    Looking forward to your next posting.

Marc
  8. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Thanks for the info Roger, I think the Cuirass is spot on....I must find out why Metallic paints are such a no, no on Flats...can't really see what the problem is, but you are right it is fun trying to replicate metals without them!

Keith
  9. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thank you Marc.

Keith, I've seen something about the preferred use of non metallics somewhere, If I can find it again I'll post it here.

Roger.
  10. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Thanks Roger-does it apply to Demi Ronde's also? I'm only on my second but I have used printers ink gold for Bonapartes Braiding/Lace and Sword Furniture.

Keith
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I really don't think it matters what you use as long as it looks in scale and realistic. I think that not to use metallics is the desire to emulate the work of the master oil painters, Reubens, Rembrandt etc.

If your braiding, lace etc looks good then it is good :) It really doesn't matter how you did it.

Roger