1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Andy's Cossack

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Martin Antonenko, Oct 15, 2013.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Well done Bratku
    Now the figure is done... time to put his feet on the ground.;) Do you have a plan for the groundwork?

Again, beautiful work. Thanx for taking the time to this extensive SBS, very educational.

Colin
  2. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Thanks Adrian, Brad, Colin, Joe!

Some pics will follow - next week I will start to create the base...

Cheers
  3. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Whew :joyful:! You really went the extra mile on this Cossack, not to mention that you even gave us a view of each and every step along the way. Very well done Sir, and thank you!

Joe
    Martin Rohmann likes this.
  4. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Thanks Joe!:)

Cheers
  5. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Very nice and detailed SBS. I learned a lot. Thanks Martin! You spent so much time showing us so many things! I appreciate this a lot!(y)
    Love the result and can't wait to see this guy on his base.
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  6. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Thanks Zeno!

[IMG]

Cheers
  7. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the SBS Martin, very informative.(y)
  8. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Great thread - showing your determination to finish a project, doing research and improving details. Enjoyed it very much -thank you!
    Cheers, Martin
  9. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Carl, Martin: Thanks a lot! :)

Cheers
  10. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    106. Day, 16. April 2014

Today I finally start building the base.

Our friend is quite simple standing in an autumn steppe landscape, like this...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

This is the base , which I have chosen me - a beautiful piece of burl that I have "shot" low last year at Ingolstadt show...:

[IMG]

I start so that I the smooth surface of Wood base ...

[IMG]
    gratis bilder hochladen

...with cutters and drill bits with the " Proxxon " planned devastating ... :

[IMG]

This increases the surface area and are the "floor " , I 'm going to sculpt , more space to " cling".

Next, the whole piece is carefully wrapped in kitchen foil, I mark the previously selected front...:

[IMG]

Then I mix with a thick " sausage " from " Milliput " to ...

[IMG]

...and with a rolling "tool " between two sheets of baking paper ( then nothing sticks ! )...:

[IMG]

The "Miliput" is placed on the wooden base and fashioned with all sorts of tools to a " ground structure" ... :

[IMG]

The Cossack figure is separated from the working base next - fortunately without breaking ...

[IMG]

...and is subsequent position on the base. Not exactly in the middle (which could look boring) - and besides, I still want to build a gimmick ... :

[IMG]

The holes for the pins which hold the figure are drilled - and " masked" for security with toothpicks , so I do not close it later again.

[IMG]

As next step I use small stones (which I have collected some years ago on a Greek beach ) .

[IMG]

With the spoon , the stones are carefully incorporated into the still soft " Milliput floor " .

[IMG]

That's it for today.
    tiberius57 and Joe55 like this.
  11. Ferris A Fixture

Oh man, that's scary business!
    I always try to prepare the holes for the figure in the base, and preferably the groundwork as well before starting the figure painting, so that I don't need to touch/manipulate the figure when the painting is done. Always scared that I damage something, or leave scuff marks or finger prints.
    But, of course, everyone has his own proces! And maybe you are braver than I am Martin!

Groundwork looking well so far. Looking forward to your gimmick.

Cheers
    Adrian
  12. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Wait a minute! First we are treated to some views of the environment in which the Cossacks roamed, but then the base gets some gravel from a beach in Greece o_O?

Just kidding Martin:D! I like the look of the wood you have chosen, and once again impatiently wait to see how he turns out on the base.

Joe
  13. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Thank you very much, Adrian and Joe! :)

Cheers
  14. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    107. Day , 17. April 2014

Today, my floor is primed with " Army Painter Grey" ... :

[IMG]

Those who want can take the way very similar bottom plate which Andy has attached the figure - I have only therefore not done because I wanted to have a little more space ... :

[IMG]

Then the base is unpacked again - and I now have a relatively "sharp" structured grundwork that seamlessly sits perfectly on the wooden base , so as I like it ... :

[IMG]

Oh - I forgot yesterday to show : The "floor" rises from front to rear minimal to ... :

[IMG]
  15. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    108. Day, 18. April 2014

Well - now we need to make the base a reasonably credible steppe-ground ...

I have used these colors ...:

[IMG]

The whole is a single orgy of Brushing, Washing, Drying again and again - until it looks harmonious and realistic enough for me ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]
  16. Ferris A Fixture

Very nice Martin!

Adrian
  17. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Thanks Adrian! :)

Cheers
  18. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    109. Day, 19. April 2014

Today, a little "gardening"...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Voilà - my "steppe"...
  19. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Awesome Martin! What product did you used for vegetation? Looks very good! Did you painted the vegetation?
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  20. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany