1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

ANDREW CRAFT cossack online course thread

Discussion in 'Workshop with Fer' started by Fernando Ruiz, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Andrews' thread
    Regards
    FeR
  2. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Here is mine cleaned, pinned and primed. I am still organising a wooden base and I am going to use the stone paving base supplied with the kit, perhaps with a few fallen leaves on it.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  3. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    OK. The stone slab base supplied is also fine.
    Regards
    FeR
  4. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    After seeing the next step in the tutorial I was inspired to have a go here is todays effort. I think the chest still needs a little work. Sorry for the lousy pics camera isnt up to the little figures. Going to post a few from the phone to see how they look too.

Cheers,
    Andrew.

Attached Files:

5. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Phone shots

Attached Files:

6. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Mmm... Not bad, not bad. The pics don't let me appreciate truly the paintwork. I can tell it goes well but still needs a bit more highlights and deep shadows. Yes, the chest still need a bit more of work also.
    Nice work.
    FeR
  7. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Look a fair start Andrew, but you're in good hands.
    Carl.
    Fernando Ruiz likes this.
  8. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    I took a few more shots with natural daylight, hopefully they are good enough to show what I have done. At the moment these are about the best my camera can take.

Attached Files:

• a2.jpg
      a2.jpg
      File size:
      65.4 KB
      Views:
    • a4.jpg
      a4.jpg
      File size:
      44.1 KB
      Views:
    • a5.jpg
      a5.jpg
      File size:
      38 KB
      Views:
    • a6.jpg
      a6.jpg
      File size:
      59.7 KB
      Views:
  9. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    These pics are much better. The good thing is that you know where to apply everything, but it still needs more work to be done:
    - The eyes are too big; You need to cut'em out to size painting a well defined eyelids.
    - You need a stronger shadow tone under the eyebrows. It will help to bring life to the eyes.
    - Take the highlight of the upper part of the nose to the upper limit of it.
    - Don't forget the work on the lips. They are small but also need the proper highlights/shadows.
    - Bring some highlights to the bald patch.
    - Try to add some thinned reddish tone to shadow the lower part of the cheecks.
    In any case, you've done a good work so far. Now, it needs to become more refined. That use to be what makes the difference...
    Regards
    FeR
    Meehan34 likes this.
  10. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    I got to work on trying to fix some of the areas that needed work, also darkened the eye colour. After seeing the blown up images I can see the chin needs a lot of blending and the nose could use some too. I think my paint mix was a little too thick cause he is starting to get pretty rough looking when blown up in the photos.

Attached Files:

11. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Mmm... The paint layer is too thick. My suggestion is to remove the paint and start over again. Don't get me wrong, there is a certain degree of good job there, for example, in the positioning of highlights and shadows, a thing that is not so easy to do. But keep in mind two things:
    - The roughness and thickness of the painting makes that any effort done to mend the problem will probably worsen it.
    - You have done it one time and found out which problems are you gonna face. Second time, the results will be far better and you will see that it was worth the effort.
    Mistakes are part of the process, it's better to welcome them as they come. You will learn more from them than when everything seems to be OK.
    regards
    FeR
  12. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Ok after stripping it back and starting again this is the result. I hope the pics are good enough to see what I've done.

Cheers,
    Andrew.

Attached Files:

toy4x4 likes this.
  13. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    That's much better!
    Now, why don't you try to add some extreme highlights and shadows to the flesh?
    Use them also to mark the lips and lower eyelids.
    One more thing. In the lower part of the chest area there's two spots of highlight a bit out of place. They must be more subtle and they must be placed towards the shadow area of the upper part.
    Nice work.
    FeR
  14. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Ok I've always been one who is scared to do extreme highlights and shadows. So this is my attempt at trying them after yesterdays post. The pics were taken with the same lighting as yesterday so hopefully the difference in highlights and shadows can be seen. Still lots to touch up but hopefully the shadows and highlights are about where they should be.

Thanks,
    Andrew.

Attached Files:

15. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Even better, don't you think?
    I would try to soften a bit more that black shadow in the lower part of the forehead, and don't forget about the highlightis in lips, eyelids, etc...
    Regards
    FeR
  16. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    I have been painting the shirt for the last few days, trying to make my shadows and highlights more extreme as they normally lack depth. Here is what I have done.

Attached Files:

toy4x4 likes this.
  17. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Not bad at all!
    A white shirt is one of those parts you could be working on forever. You can always improve the blendings, add shades, etc. Maybe you can polish it a bit more later, but the results you have so far are fine.
    Well done, mate
    FeR
  18. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks Fernando, I am fairly pleased with how it turned out. As you said maybe a little more polishing later.

Cheers,
    Andrew.
    Fernando Ruiz likes this.
  19. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Here is my attempt at the pants. I found these colours tricky to work with. Hopefully the result is ok.

Attached Files:

20. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    They look fine to me, but a closer pic should reveal if they need a bit more highlights...
    Regards
    FeR