1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Andrea Miniatures. Napoleon 1806 (New Pictures)

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Carlos Royo, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Carlos Royo Member

2. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Sry - nice paintjob, but no likeness at all...

Cheers
    stoffy01 and ometz like this.
  3. ometz Well-Known Member

United-States
    This is the second presentation of this figure and I agree with preceding comment. Looks like someone dressing up like Napoleon for a Halloween party (or, as an earlier commentator noted: a baby dressed up in a uniform). Sorrry, but this one whiffed.
  4. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    The same errors with the medals !
    For the Hairs and eyes colors :
    [IMG]
    Bonaparte first Consul 1803
    François Gérard,
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    No, this will pass my bench. I've seen better, sorry
    For me, the Alexandros buste from Napoleon is nowdays the best a man get buy.

Marc
    clrsgt likes this.
  6. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I don't think it is that bad , it could well be a young Napoleon , and the painting is excellent .
    Edward, Huw63 and housecarl like this.
  7. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Still looks like a baby dressed up like L'Empereur
  8. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I agree this is very well painted but the sculpt looks like someone has taken an image of an older napoleon and computer enhanced it to make him look younger. Contemporary images show him as being much thinner in the face when he was younger.

I don't know who sculpted this and apologise for seeming negative but It seems that so far I am not in a minority.
    stoffy01 likes this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

Like Keith and others have said well painted but for me also just doesn't got that look ...

Better versions out there ...might be me but Andrea are not what they used to be

Nap
  10. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Odd senstion but the man have so many faces...:D

Attached Files:

stoffy01 and Blind Pew like this.
  11. Huw63 A Fixture

Great paintjob. In my opinion the face doesn't match the iconography but it must be considered that the artists might not want to offend the subject less they recieve a visit from Fouché's crew... the fact is we don't know and so this interpretation might be more accurate than we will ever know. What I do know is that it was often reported that over time he becoame less energetic and gained weight. That's my penny's worth.

Cheers

Huw
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  12. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Most portraits of the time altered to decieve or you did;t get a second commission :)
    Just remember some of the halabule re portraits of the queen because the artist painted what he saw , and Goya painted a portrait of the Spanish royal family with one of the princess only showing the back of her he'd as she was so ugly he couldn't bear to paint her
    Blind Pew and Huw63 like this.
  13. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I'm actually quite surprised considering Andrea have probably done more napoleons than anyone else,it doesn't look right to me though.
    Some of the pieces they done in the smaller scales were fine,however I did'nt like the other Napoleon bust they did either.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    stoffy01 and Blind Pew like this.
  14. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I think it's really good!
    Face it guys, before the advent of photography.... we'll never really know exactly how people really looked. And even then photos can be deceptive as we all know.

Perhaps Brian, Frank H or Malc C can contribute, as they probably remember him.
    Huw63 likes this.
  15. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Many painting, yes. But take a look on this bust by Houdon, showing Napoleon in the year 1806...:

[IMG]

Cheers
    igorkordyukov likes this.
  16. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Don't be an idiot
  17. Huw63 A Fixture

I was mulling this over and I think that this bust looks a bit like Prince William with hair... That's my second penny's worth!
    stoffy01 likes this.
  18. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy
    1806 means 37 years old....
    Huw63 likes this.
  19. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    I agree that there wasn't the advent of photography around at the time so no accurate photos, but we do have a death mask to get a reasonably good idea of bone structure etc and I've found this sculpture has a good resemblance with it.

Regarding the figure it sort of looks a little bulbous to me, but that's not to say it isn't a good sculpt but that it's just not my cup of tea.
    [IMG]
    igorkordyukov and smudger1960 like this.
  20. Huw63 A Fixture

FYI there are several death masks of Napoleon as commented in the special exhibition at "Les Invalides" about Napoleon in St. Helena. As you say they do give an impression of the bone structure.

Cheers

Huw
    stoffy01 likes this.