1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Anarchy in the UK

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by david pickford, Feb 7, 2015.

1. david pickford Active Member

Colin- ha ha, that guy sounds like a man after my own heart- that's my approach to modelling too.
    John, nice to see you over here ( might be the only place you will see me, unless you want to be my FaceBook Model buddy- search for David Drofckip if you do). Yes, I go for the holistic approach as you know- helps you get away with murder!

Anyway, I've had a weekend modellathon and got to here- looks well advanced, but there's still an awful lot of work to do...
    IMG_3910.JPG IMG_3911.JPG IMG_3912.JPG
    Kisifer, Huw63 and ChaosCossack like this.
  2. david pickford Active Member

Still working on Paul Cook and drum set up. I did a snare drum, that forced me to repose the whole figure to fit it between his legs. I also did a ride cymbal, and detailing of the drums...
    IMG_3930.JPG IMG_3931.JPG IMG_3932.JPG
    Kisifer, MCPWilk, Huw63 and 2 others like this.
  3. swralph A Fixture

All the details are making a big difference(y).
    Ralph.
  4. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Oops, sorry about the snare :unsure: what made you change your mind? I like it, with out the snare, it seemed like there was something missing. The whole thing is really coming together amazing.

For what it's worth, doing the drum kit put me off doing a whole stage scene and ended up with single musicians. I would have liked to put my Lemmy sculpt on stage with Fast Eddie Clark and Philthy Animal Taylor but Phil's kit is huge with the double kick drums and all.

Anyway, can't wait to see you bring these guys to life with a little colour.

Colin
    swralph likes this.
  5. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Brings back wonderful memories of watching 'Top of the Pops' on a Thursday evening!

Mike
  6. Huw63 A Fixture

As ever catching up on things. I love it and it brings back many memories of a long past youth though I still listen to them and pretend I'm still a young guy (I was listening to "Stepping Stone" last evening - both the original by the Monkees and the Pistols' version). I'm looking forward to seeing this one being painted. Wish I had the talent to sculpt Angus Young on Bon Scott's shoulders!

Cheers

Huw
    swralph likes this.
  7. david pickford Active Member

Colin, Im getting a bit intrigued about your motor head sculpts. Could you post some pics here or link me to your thread on this site?
    Mike and Huw- we are gentlemen of a certain age! Of course the Pistols got banned from Top of the Pops - but that didn't do them any harm!!!
    I've pretty much assembled all the main elements, so this is the scene as I visualise it...
    IMG_3939.jpg IMG_3938.JPG IMG_3944.jpg IMG_3945.jpg
    Kisifer, crf, ChaosCossack and 2 others like this.
  8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/the-ace-of-spades.53631/
    I don't like to hijack your thread, but this is my Lemmy sculpt, about 95% complete. In the end, the bass has a cable plugged in and running across the stage as well as other cables taped down with bits of gaffers tape. I did a badge of a spade and banner that said "Ace of Spades" out of plastic card. I was surprised and honoured to receive a silver at Chicago this last year for this piece.

Now picture the rest of the band. ;)

Colin
  9. david pickford Active Member

That's effing brilliant that Colin- and what I think modelling is all about! No mistaking the lad from Stoke! Infact Lemmy, Robbie Williams and David Pickford all hale from Stoke, so it you know its the place to be mate!!!
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. david pickford Active Member

Although the build isn't finished, I couldn't resist adding some colour at this stage, to see how it might look...
    IMG_3946.JPG IMG_3950.jpg IMG_3951.jpg IMG_3952.JPG
  11. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Great work once again David!

That has turned out excellent, and really looks good with some colour started.

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
  12. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    FRIGGING AWESOME!!!!
    Makes me want to do a little stage diving :woot:

More please

Colin
  13. david pickford Active Member

Jeff and Colin, thanks a lot! I have done a bit more on Steve jones. Research shows he had a custom les paul gibson originally owned by Sylvain Sylvain of the New York dolls with stickers. I tried to do that particular guitar...
    IMG_3953.jpg
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  14. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Wow... New York Dolls... Another name I haven't heard in a long time.
    I dare you to sculpt them next... A lot of spandex, spike heels and feather boas :facepalm::sneaky:

You could do all the CBGB's regulars... NYD, Ramones, Iggy Pop and the Stooges. A study in sculpting absurdly skinny men :dead:

Colin
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    David,

brilliant going to looks great when fully painted up..I can see why you wanted to get some colour on it

..nice idea.

Like the 2 Banners at the back

"so pretty...oh so pretty .....pretty vacant" as Sid says ..or something like that

New York Dolls, Iggy ,Susie and the Banshees,Crowd surfing ..oh memories ..off to find my safety pins and 45's

Nap

Iggy and Bowie would be a great pairing ...
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  16. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Ooooooo... I forgot about Souixie and the Banshees... and Suzie Quatro, Trini Alvarado, The Ruts, Patti Smith, The Pretenders. The whole early New York City punk scene.
    Or a few more Brits of the same era... The Buzzcocks, The Cramps, Crass, Charged GBH, The Exploited...
    Not to mention my real territory... early '80's Thrash and Hardcore bands...
    I just have to run through my iPod for more ideas ;)

Colin
    Huw63 likes this.
  17. david pickford Active Member

Colin Nap, glad if the idea gets your own juices going for some 'rock sculpts' - I agree there's limitless potential! At the moment I'm trying to do a series of models in 2015 with the common theme 'Britannia', that could be anything - I will move off music models after I've got this done- but don't let me put you off!
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. swralph A Fixture

Looking excellent now that colour is appearing.
    Ralph.
  19. Huw63 A Fixture

Looking good. Thanks fir bringing back all the memories.

Cheers

Huw
  20. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Wish I had the talent to sculpt Angus Young on Bon Scott's shoulders! Go on mate, give it a go. It'd be epic!

Love the lemmy sculpt and the pistols are looking brilliant.
    Huw63 likes this.