1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP An 'Oldie': Pegaso's 54 mm Scythian king

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by rossbach, Nov 17, 2015.

1. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Hello all,

A few pics taken last night with my mobile phone from my workbench. Pegaso's 54 mm Scythian king. Its almost finished. Only his sword and Gorytos need to be attached.

I have to say although it was a lot of work, I really enjoyed this fig so far even though its old. Probably one of Laruccia's first figures for Pegaso?

What amazed me was the sharpness of the pics taken with my Hua.ei! As you can see the figure is enlarged quite a lot. This is a 'true' 54 mm, that is appr. 55 mm tall.

I still have to find a way to sort out the lightning which isn't so good and doesn't show off the figure to its advantage. The yellow and white desk bulbs (positioned above the figure) are not suitable for this.

Painting? Oils over acrylic base. Apart from the head everything got a thin coat of matt varnish. For this I use Gunze Sangyo's H20, very diluted and applied with an airbrush (Iwata) at low psi. When spraying the nozzle is just a few mm's away from the figure's surface.

The finish on the clothing is dead flat. No fogging problems. But make sure your airbrush is spotlessly clean before starting. Paint residue from previous sessions will spoil the clear flat finish as I found out the hard way!

Afterwards the areas that need sheen (in proportion to the figure's scale) receive a thin coat of Vallejo matt varnish (egg shell sheen) or satin varnish (slightly more sheen). With this figure I only varnished the leg armour. For the gold decoration I just placed some small dots/stripes of a gold and silver printer's ink mix (+ a drop of Liquin) on top of the relief. This makes the necklace (which is flat) appear to be shiny.

Will post again when the figure is finished and attached to its base.

Thanks for looking.

Rossbach

Scyt1.jpg

Scyt2.jpg

Scyt4.jpg

Scyt3.jpg

Scyt5 (2).jpg

Scyt7.jpg

Scyt8.jpg

Scyt9.jpg

Scyt10.jpg

Attached Files:

2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Indeed an oldy, but you brought it to a goldy.

marc
  3. ATTİLA the HUN Well-Known Member

Turkey
    Great Scythian king. I smell wild steppe.
    I lıke your RED paintings...

Regards from TURKEY...
  4. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    To my eye, this sculpt has a few anatomical issues, but your painting is superb.

- Steve
  5. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Thanks Steve. I did my best.

As to its anatomy: I attached the arms and head to the torso last night. When looking at the result my first thought was that he is in need of a physiotherapist!!!

It is a bit misleading because the armour and the ton of gold he's wearing makes him appear very bulky. And Laruccia gave him a dramatic 'regal pose' which looks a bit distorted.

What I found more troubling was the fact that the rows of scales were a bit wavy.
  6. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    And your best is very good!

Unless you go down the conversion or remodelling road (not so easy in white metal), you can only paint what Pegaso give you.

- Steve
  7. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Almost finished. Will post pics of this completed 'oldie'. I read a thread about problems with Vallejo matt varnish. Maybe I should point out that this figure was painted in oils and received a coat of Gunze Sangyo H 20.

The pictures can be enlarged to screensize. Click 'óriginal size'and then click on the pic again. So you can see it has an dead flat finish. And no fogging. The only shine was applied to the leg protectors with Vallejo satin.............

...........and with a gold and silver printer's ink mix, mixed with liquin applied to the top of the relief on the necklace and other gold (metal) parts using dots/stripes.

I picked this up from scale aircraft modellers who use GS acrylic paint for airbrushing. The matt varnish really works and results in a dead flat finish. The only disadvantage is that one has to use an airbrush and a compressor.
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Stunning bit of painting.(y)
  9. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Thanks. But it was a lot of work for a figure that measures 5,5 cm from top to bottom:D