1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

An ambition of mine

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by swralph, Oct 16, 2017.

1. swralph A Fixture

Hello my Friends.
    I've been painting figures for about 25 years and have had a tremendous amount of fun with the hobby.
    I've done many commission pieces and regularly sell my work on ebay(only cheap),I even managed to do a few magazine articles for Military Modelcraft International during the 90's.

I know my work is far from the best out there but my one ambition left in the hobby is to paint a figure for the boxart.
    Yes I guess writing this here is a bit cheeky but one can only try:).

Even if it doesn't happen I will never stop painting figures.
    All the best.
    Ralph.
  2. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Ralph,
    It is always good to move forward and strive for better.
    Cheers
    John
    garyhiggins and swralph like this.
  3. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Very true.......You never know what can happen when you always strive to do your best .
    Regards,
    Wayne
  4. swralph A Fixture

Cheers John:).
  5. swralph A Fixture

Cheers Wayne:).
  6. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The box art ends up becoming the benchmark for that figure. There can't be any times where this isn't the case.

Does good box art make any difference to sales I wonder?
  7. swralph A Fixture

That's quite true BP.
    Just a few thoughts on box art.
    1..Painted by a top painter may either inspire or put off a buyer due to their skill level.
    2.. those without box art may put off buyers due to not knowing what colour to paint it.
    3.. I also get that box art can add to the price of the kit.

All the best.
    Ralph.
    garyhiggins and Blind Pew like this.
  8. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    I really don't think anyone is truly put off a piece by good box art.
    If it's good it shows the figure / bust at its best, enhancing and drawing attention to the sculpted detail.
    On the other hand duff box art does put people off by doing exactly the opposite.
    I'm sure many of us have rejected a piece and then changed our mind when we've seen the actual sculpt.
    You can understand why producers tend to stick with the same painters and are willing to pay a premium to get a better guarantee of sales.
    oldtrousers, garyhiggins and swralph like this.
  9. swralph A Fixture

I'm with you all the way Del:).
    My thoughts were just my thoughts and everyone has a different view of things(which I'm all for).
    However I would still like to do a box art:D .
    garyhiggins and DEL like this.
  10. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Absolutely, The trick is to play to your strengths by highlighting your best work. Identify the period that particularly interests you and 'hawk' your wares around. What's the worst that can happen? The fact that this is a bucket list ambition and maybe offered free?????? might in itself be attractive.
    I think that producers seeing your work could be confident that you won't land them with a pup.
  11. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Ralph,

I'm with you on this topic. I also would love to do this kind of work. Never had the chance or even publish something.
    Good luck!

Pedro
    swralph likes this.
  12. swralph A Fixture

Cheers Pedro.
    It may happen for you yet:).