1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Amaryne, 1/10th scale bust from Galapogas

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Jan 24, 2016.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    This is a real departure for me. I've never done a fantasy figure before and never done a female figure either.

This superb 1/10th scale bust called "Amaryne" by Galapagos was given to me by a friend and he said "there are no rules, no uniforms, no research and no limits on your imagination, just go nuts" so I thought about it for a few seconds and agreed to have a crack.

I don't have an idea what colour scheme to paint her in other than I want her to be a blonde with blue eyes. I've read through Nap's excellent Open Box review and now its time to get cracking.

I'm also going to try airbrushing for the first time and see if its something I could get into. I've been quietly watching all the instructional videos I can get my hands on and now that I have my airbrush and compressor set up its time to give it a try.

My wife gave me a funny look when I showed her the figure all primed and ready for painting. I think she's jealous :cautious:
    Elf Archer 1.jpg Elf Archer 3.jpg Elf Archer 2.jpg Elf Archer 4.jpg
    Nicolaos, NickM and gforceman like this.
  2. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    I have been wanting this fig since it was first released, just haven't popped on it yet. Is her right arm permanently attached or still lose?
  3. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Wow, looks a great sculpt, wouldn't mind doing it myself.
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Jason,

Her right arm is tacked in place for the photo. I've decided to leave it off so I can paint the torso and face without the bow getting in the way.
  5. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Hey Tony
    Can you do me a favor? Could you turn the left arm around so that the back of her hand holding the bow is facing outward and take a pic? I was thinking of doing this when I get one, it would be nice to see how its looks. Thanks!
  6. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Keep thinking of getting it, but the only thing that puts me off is the bow, will have to re -do that one.

Looking forward to see your version, Tony, I think it will help me decide whether to buy .
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Jason

Hopefully this photo is what you want.

Here is a sneak peak of her face after a day of airbrushing and painting eyes.

Attached Files:

Nicolaos, arj, Stephan and 3 others like this.
  8. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Geez Tony, you're knocking them out left and right! Anxious to see how you handle this babe, but she's looking mighty good so far (y)!

Joe
    tonydawe likes this.
  9. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Yes! Thanks much, just what I needed.
    tonydawe likes this.
  10. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I'm going to enjoy seeing this develop tony,good luck with this one (y)
    tonydawe likes this.
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

I'm still laying down base coat colours on the clothing and experimenting with slight variations in skin tones.

Generally the colours are now selected and now comes the job of highlighting and shading.

Then detailing, then oil washing, then stippling, then super detailing.....a long way to go yet.

Amaryne 1.jpg
    NickM, Martin64 and fermatgom like this.
  12. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Coming on nicely Tony, watching with interest.
    Les
    tonydawe likes this.
  13. fermatgom A Fixture

Spain
    I like the skintone that you have obtained.
    tonydawe likes this.
  14. jimz66 Member

United-States
    Looks great Tony. Keep it going.
    tonydawe likes this.
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for your comments guys. Here's the latest WIP pics.

Attached Files:

NickM, Eludia and Mat Lambert like this.
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Every night I sit down for a couple of hours and work away at painting Amaryne. Because I'm not painting a uniform or have any sense of how to far to go in terms of details, I'm far from satisfied with her at this stage and I have so much yet to do.

Here are the WIP pics from last night's painting session.

Amaryne 10.jpg Amaryne 11.jpg Amaryne 12.jpg Amaryne 14.jpg Amaryne 15.jpg
    arj, Martin64 and NickM like this.
  17. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    I get the unfamiliar subject can throw you a bit, but its still looking great so far, mate.
    You've painted the subtle skintones beautifully.
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Some more progress pics. I've painted a spray of peacock feathers on the cloak. Hope you like it.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Nicolaos, sippog, SLR and 3 others like this.
  19. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    wow, very good.
    tonydawe likes this.
  20. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I liked the green cloak in its initial incarnation but now, with the added design, you've taken it to another level.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    tonydawe likes this.