1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Alpine Waffen SS set #35168

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by billyturnip, Jun 11, 2017.

1. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I know exactly what you mean Ralph, it looks ok to me at a reasonable viewing distance but doesn't hold up well to closer scrutiny. Thanks for being so honest.
    swralph likes this.
  2. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Stop beating yourself up, for a first attempt its good, don't think I would have got this far with out reaching for the dettol.
    keep going
    anstontyke and billyturnip like this.
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Bob.
    The Dettol bottle is just what I was contemplating.
    anstontyke and Viking Bob like this.
  4. Oda A Fixture

Oh I know he will be,so start sending....

Oda.
  5. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Its your fault that I have ordered this morning, two German Paras from Alpine. If any one can f☆☆☆ up, I can.
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    :ROFLMAO: Which two? I hope they're wearing splinter pattern smocks. :eek:
    C'mon Bob, let's go for it!

I've applied a couple of dusty washes to disguise my iffy camo painting, maybe this is the way for me to tackle it. :D

IMG_5084.JPG
    Oda, Wings5797, Borek and 2 others like this.
  7. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Roger,
    I have only had a go at a few camo uniforms. I was given a tip to unify the colours by applying with a spray gun a fine mist of very watery black. I used to have this book but sold it, I can recommend it if you are going to do anymore. It has all the camo variants in.
    cheers
    Richie
    waffen ss uniforms.jpg
    Borek, anstontyke and billyturnip like this.
  8. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Cheers Richie.
    I'm quite keen to do some more Alpine figs but with camo..... hmmmm. :D
    anstontyke likes this.
  9. JonH Active Member

Hello Roger.
    I see a German soldier in SS smock,spring/summer pattern. What can I say?
    I think that at this scale it's a far more realistic impression than if you'd exactly reproduced the pattern.
    Jon
  10. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Camo and tartans aren`t for everyone:D . Still a convincing first result(y) .
    I think that the approach of Calvin Tan with painting the "browns" and then adding the green "islands" and their darker borders and finally adding the dark brown/black zones works very well. If you feel you can do better go for it - I am sure that you will overcome the difficulties .
    Blending of the different tones can be done by mixing a portion of the "base tone" into each different camo color. Maybe this is not necessary with the tones of Andrea`s paint set.
    My two cents. Cheers, Martin
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England

Jon, Martin, thanks for your input, it's much appreciated. I think I'll plough on and see what the end result is. All the lovely folds and creases in the smock are assisting my method I think.
    The plan was to base the two figure in the set together but if the second one ends up better I might have to have a rethink. :D
    Martin64 and anstontyke like this.
  12. anstontyke A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    some of us can only dream of reaching your level of inadequatecy mate, from what i see in the pictures you are producing another nice figure.

tony
    Oda, stoffy01 and billyturnip like this.
  13. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Cheers Tony, let's hope so.
    anstontyke likes this.
  14. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom

No fraid not, Either North Africa or Italy, but never say never.
  15. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Going for the "so dirty you can't discern the camo pattern" look which was very popular in late '44. ;)

IMG_5092.JPG IMG_5093.JPG
    Oda, stoffy01, swralph and 7 others like this.
  16. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Don't sell yourself short Roger, that's pretty darn good no matter what (y)!

Joe
  17. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thank you Joe.
    My problem with it is that's not what I set out to do. However I am happy enough to leave it as it is and not strip it. I think it will look quite good based up and with some appropriate groundwork.
    I have higher expectations for Figure 2 in the set. :)
    anstontyke likes this.
  18. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I agree Joe, This is looking better as you go along Roger, he has not got his kit off the shelf but has worn it for 24/7 for months on end.
    Bloody good painting.

(y)
  19. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thank you for the words of encouragement Bob.
    Perhaps the best idea is to try and paint the second figure in a similar fashion and still base them together.
    I had a lot of respect for people who paint convincing camouflage clothing, it's safe to say I've now got a lot more! :)
    anstontyke and Martin64 like this.
  20. Mariobusta A Fixture

New_Zealand
    I think it looks great .looking at a 1/35 figure is like looking at a person from a distance so I feel it is very convincing.nice!