1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Alpine BAR Gunner, US 29th Infantry Division

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Rompy, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hi pF,

Been working on this guy from Alpine Miniatures. As always appreciate all comments and critiques :)

The groundwork is made from stuff found around the house. A mix of earl grey and camomile tea leaves become the forest litter on the ground. Fibres from the husk of a dried coconut and dried ferns formed the weeds and low lying vegetation. The only thing i cant find locally are the heather i picked while walking about in the highlands of Scotland. These formed the little shurbs like trees in the background. Now off to airbrush the lot to unify the color and trim the undergrowth :)

[IMG]
    T50, gendegaia, Grod and 6 others like this.
  2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Looks great. Not sure about the colour of the trousers though.
  3. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very nice work mate on this figure,I love your groundwork materials,never thought of tea leaves gefore
    Rompy likes this.
  4. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore

Thanks Tony ! I have not started on the trousers yet :)
  5. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore

Earl Grey has a rather nice texture to it. Camomile looks like little wood chips, mix them up and u get some nice forest litter. I am heading to the supermarket this weekend to source for more tea leaves. I should think those floral teas make good ground work too.
    housecarl likes this.
  6. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Have a look in the herb section as well,you can sometimes find something useful here as well. Almost forgot...nice figure, like the metal of the gun.

regards Zane
    Rompy likes this.
  7. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    A really beautiful work here. I like it a lot.

Xenofon
    Rompy likes this.
  8. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    what's your technique for the gun metal
    Rompy likes this.
  9. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hi monthythefirst, i rub graphite (8b pencil) onto a q tip before using said q tip to "dry brush" the metallic surfaces. The q tip is softer and wont leave harsh lines like the pencil. On the hard edges and hightlights, i gently use the pencil directly. If its too shiny, i selectively glaze some burnt sienna over some ares.
  10. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Completed this recently. Here are the final shots :)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    billyturnip and Babelfish like this.