1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Alone in the dark.120mmUSAB,

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by pixelhead, Nov 20, 2013.

1. pixelhead New Member

Netherlands
    Hello.
    I have been stalking many forums and online modeling sites the last months before taking the plunge and joining Planet-figure.
    It seems to me that this is a place with enough expertise to really offer the best critique.
    Ok, so here go's.
    I am more an illustrator than a sculptor, but became inspired by Jeffshues figures, and thought to give it a go myself. Since then I have been wrestling with this 120mm USAB figure for sooo long now.
    Have tried every medium from sculpey to wax to muliput to some green stuff. Its very difficult to be objective about ones own efforts, Not ready to come out of the closet to my friends as a modeler and need critique from people with an eye for this subject.
    Are the proportions ok? is the pose convincing? etc etc. Any critique would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks. Mike

Attached Files:

• USAB.jpg
      USAB.jpg
      File size:
      454.1 KB
      Views:
    Kevtk135 and T50 like this.
  2. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mike! .. so far, there is very little wrong with your progress on this sculpt! that I can see. it all seems to be shaping up very nicely. .. However, the sculptors on here will give you there honest appraisal and thoughts! They are generally a nice bunch! :)

Ps, Welcome to this forum!

Regards,

Mark
  3. weather wax Member

England
    Hi Mike looking good so far keep going
    George
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum. From what I can see the proportions look spot on. I like the pose. It's very similar to a 1/16th scale figure by Alpine of a US paratrooper 16004a.jpg
    oldtrousers likes this.
  5. pixelhead New Member

Netherlands
    Hello Tony,
    You are right to notice the similarities with the Alpine figure, but I was originally inspired by a pose struck by Clint in 'Kellies heroes (just after the roadside ambush)
    Was going to put Clints head on it, but after getting to 'into it', discovered that the scale was a little off and gave up (anyway,can Clint sue?)

Attached Files:

6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Your proportions and sculpting technique look good to me. Check the right arm for length. From your photo I can't tell if it is.

The problems with the head not matching the rest of the sculpt could only have been resolved if you had originally matched the head in proportion to the rest of the sculpt. And that's tricky.

Looks like you have a raised seam on the trooper's trousers. Was there really a raised seam? I'm asking 'cos I don't know.

All the best,
    Dan
  7. pixelhead New Member

Netherlands
    Hi Dan,
    This is exactly the sort of response I was hoping to get, and indeed, after a quick check, the seams are not as prominent as I have sculpted. Thanks.
    Mike:)
  8. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  9. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I was going to comment on the seam too but that has been caught. I think your stance and proportions are good. The head looks a little like a blank at this stage and I assume you will add more character and definition. Your handling of straps Andy pouches is good. The thompson looks a little blurry and rounded. Makes sure the metal parts are sculpted very crisply. But it looks like the work if a vet sculptor to me.

Colin
  10. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent work so far! Very cool subject as well.
    Can you show the side view?