1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed After the Battle and ECW Royalist

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by zane666, Apr 6, 2014.

1. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    These were my first 2 attempts after a 10 year break. I originally was only going to do busts as they were simple to assemble and didn't take up to much room as I share my work space with washed dishes.

First bust - Andrea - Templar Seargent
    Second bust - El Greco - ECW Royalist
    Busts painted in Vallejo and Mermari acrylics.
    Comments etc welcome

Regards Z DSC09883 (600x800).jpg DSC09888 (600x800).jpg DSC09890 (600x800).jpg DSC09892 (600x800).jpg DSC09896 (600x800).jpg ane

Attached Files:

2. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Welcome back.Nice paint jobs.
    Brian
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Welcome back ...a 10 year break eh might have to have one of those ..improve my painting!(y) !!

Nice work ..what are the Mermari like compared to Vallejo ? ...

......how did you find it after such a sebattical...was it difficult to get going ?

Whats the next project ??

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Very nice. Plenty of scope for improvement but you seem to understand the fundamentals of painting figures.
  5. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    thanks guys, the next project got posted first which was Custer's last Stand. My current project while i'm waiting for the money tree to grow is to have a go at sculpting, thought i would try something simple and a little different like Dr Suesses Green eggs and Ham so i can get use to the putty.

Nap I found mermari had good pigment and painted flat but, it didn't have the connivence of the bottle, so i'm trying to source some andrea paints, and I always find it hard to get back into a new project but, once you get started it's midnight finishes from here on in.

Tony i'm working on my blending and more tonal definition particularly more shading in the face.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  6. swralph A Fixture

Both nicely painted(y)
  7. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    10 years has done you no harm, both nicely executed.
  8. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi mate really great results after such a long break , I have just started using Scale 75 paints and I love them use the set of flesh tones which are super , I will certainly as my vallgeo. paint get used up go over to Scale 75.
    Cheers Chris
  9. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Hi Zane, nice rendition on the Andrea bust, it is a great bust. I've actually painted two as I liked it so much. Good to see your work on PF.
    Cheers Les
  10. Wheels PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Like the first bust a lot.
    Hair is great. Eyes are soulful.
    Skin is interesting. Gives the look of utter exhaustion.
    One simple improvement that I think would make the figure pop...
    The tunic is very monochromatic, Dirt, faded material, etc. would
    make a difference and separate the belt leather visually.
    Given the skin tone, heavier wear on his clothes is a better "fit".
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very nice paintwork on both.

Marc
  12. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Welcome back. Nicely done.
    Cheers
    John
  13. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Zane, great to see you posted these two guys here on Planet Figure. They looked great through the camera lens when you bought them over to my place last week. Just a note for anyone trying to find the paint you mentioned,it is Maimeri not Mermari

Regards,John:)
  14. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Thankyou Malc, Swralph, Chris - yes i have heard good things about scale 75, you guys are lucky to have access to most paints on the market, being way down here at the bottom of the planet and the cost of postage now days makes things a little hard to obtain. Les - the box art sold me on the bust, I also like the viking fury and the looter. Wheels - I tend to choke when it comes to weathering(the thought of possibly ruining all that hard work with a bad weathering job. Marc, John, John B - oops spelling, and to think I checked the box they come in for spelling, DOH.

cheers zane
  15. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Zane, yes the Viking fury is nice also. have just about finished mine, cant get any good shots of it to post here, will try again perhaps.
    Les
  16. Dormarth New Member

I love the eyes on the Andrea Bust, I have just completed this bust myself and can image how hard it was to achieve that !!
  17. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    L
    Les, bring it around to me mate ,more than happy to take some photos for you. Zane bought his figures around last week for a photo shoot ,it was great to see them in the flesh.
  18. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    yes take it to John, he takes some awesome photos, Les hopefully i'll see it in the flesh at the end of this month at the figure session.
  19. Range Rat Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Ten years....Ditto:happy:
  20. storm_zh Well-Known Member

China
    Welcome back! Nicely painted after such a long break.