1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

A new take on the old Aurora kits

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Jazz, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Jazz A Fixture

England
    If, like me, you cut your teeth on the old Aurora Universal horror kits from the 60s and 70s you should find this interesting.

These figures are full sized and are intricately detailed. You will see the actual kit in front of each figure.

trio_zpsw4avrlm0.jpg

growl_zpsrqxkl4pu.jpg

If, like me, your model looked like this
    56c53ecea466a3cb0496f09137393391.jpg

Then you have to be impressed by this new work.
    John
  2. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    By gum !

Paul.
    garyhiggins and Jazz like this.
  3. Helm A Fixture

England
    That is pretty damn good, I was never allowed those kits, by the parents alas
    garyhiggins, Blind Pew and Jazz like this.
  4. Huw63 A Fixture

Thanks John - you've emphasised what a normal adjusted human being I am...
    garyhiggins, OldTaff and Jazz like this.
  5. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Freakishly good! :eek:

-Rich
    Jazz and garyhiggins like this.
  6. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Amazing work :wideyed: Where would one keep them?

Alan
  7. Helm A Fixture

England
    In the crypt,where else?
  8. garyhiggins A Fixture

England

That's where I put mine but they all crypt away :woot::woot::arghh:.
    Thank's for the nostalgia hit John (y). Actually mine didn't look like that, with the idiot logic of a ten year old I painted mine black and white cause that's how they were in the films :).
    napoleonpeart, Huw63 and Jazz like this.
  9. Huw63 A Fixture

The logic is not that of an idiot IMHO but reflects observance and awareness of surroundings. I had the Jekyll and Hyde figure I think but preferred the Aurora caveman series.

Cheers

Huw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Thanks Huw :)
    Jazz likes this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi John

Thanks for sharing this ..scary or what ....think they are in dire need of a razor !...

.......I had "The Prisoner" chained up in a cell wall ..not sure if it was by Aurora ..think I shot it to pieces with an air rifle!

Nap
  12. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Thanks for the replies guys. A little nostalgia is a nice thing. Its great to see how these kits are still revered after all these years. Nowadays the original kits fetch a hefty price, even the empty boxes are sought after. I thought about buying one or two to see if my painting had improved but I couldn't afford one these days.
    Gary, I totally understand where you're coming from with the B&W angle. We didnt get a colour tv until 1979. It was the mid 90s before I saw the full gory glory of a Hammer horror!
    Kev, your kit was the Forgotten Prisoner of Castlemane. This was the last in the series issued and was one of the few not to feature an actual Universal monster. My best mate had this one and covered it in real cobwebs sprayed over in hair laquer. Thirteen of the original monsters were produced from 1961. In order, they were; Frankensteins monster in 1961, Dracula and the Wolfman in 1962, the Mummy, Creature from the Black Lagoon and the Phantom of the Opera in 1963, the Hunchback of Notre Dame, King Kong, Godzilla and Mr Hyde in 1964, the Salem witch and Bride of Frankenstein in 1965, and finally in 1966 the Forgotten Prisoner of Castlemare.
    Later were produced smaller variations of the monsters and monsters in hot rod cars which IMO were a bit lame. Identical versions of the originals this time with glow in the dark pieces came out in the early 70s. It was at this time that I got interested in them. The kits are still being produced by Polar Lights now but they are still quite expensive.
    Huw, I remember the Caveman series too. I had a giant bird, an Allosaurus, and the Cro Magnon Man. There was also a Planet of the Apes collection of kits out at the same time. All of these kits were corny and simply made and without the detail that we are used to today but as I say, nostalgia is nice.
    John
  13. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Those are excellent figures--the full-size ones--and thanks for a little nostalgia for Aurora. I built Godzilla and King Kong (both with and without the glow-in-the-dark bits) and the Phantom of the Opera. My little brother build a couple of the other movie monsters. And it tied in with my love of monster movies, watching them Saturday afternoons on Channel 17's monster movie show, hosted by Doctor Shock. Great times!

I built all of the Prehistoric Creatures kits, too, except the T-rex. They're now available from Revell-Monogram, I think.

Prost!
    Brad
  14. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Oh wow. I had several of these (all "glows in the dark" versions) that my grandad bought for me on visits to a fondly remembered (but long-since-closed) toy shop near to where I used to live. I had numerous dinosaurs as well, all of which came with an anachronistic caveman figure (roughly 54 mm in today's scales I'd say). Not sure if they were Aurora as well, or some other brand.

- Steve
    theBaron and garyhiggins like this.
  15. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Those might have been by Marx, if they were that small. I had a Marx prehistoric playset when I was a kid. It included two bases, with a little pond in the one, a cave ledge on the other, and a natural stone bridge between them. The dinosaurs and cavemen were all cast in soft plastic. The cavemen were a sort of tan plastic, while the dinosaurs were in various colors.

The Aurora cavemen were close to 120mm, I think. At least, the two Cro-Magnons were about 5 1/2 inches tall, and the Neanderthal was about 5 inches tall. He came with optional arms, to pose him holding a boulder over his head with both hands, ready to hurl it down (according to the image on the original box, he was dropping it on the Allosaurus) or holding a crude club in one hand with the other hand free. The Cro-Magnon man had a spear or a stone axe, and the Cro-Magnon woman, in keeping with the spirit of the movie monster series, was pure victim all the way, with her hands raised in fright. Her role was prey for the various beasts.

Prost!
    Brad
    Babelfish and garyhiggins like this.
  16. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    They definitely weren't Marx, Brad. I've been racking my brains trying to remember and a company with a name beginning with "P" keeps coming to mind, but nothing more than that. I might have to submit to regression under hypnosis in order to remember properly!

They weren't plastic toys, they were actual injection-moulded plastic kits very similar to the Tamiya dinosaurs of today (although probably not as good). I remember building and painting (in various shades of "hyper-realistic" blue, red and yellow) a Stegosaurus, a Brontosaurus (or a Diplodocus - not sure which), a T-Rex, an Ankylosaurus (I painted him metallic gold!), a Triceratops and a Dimetrodon. There were a couple of others as well whose names I've forgotten. One of the caveman figures (possibly the one that came with the Stegosaurus) had a large rock raised in both hands above his head, as if he were about to throw it.

- Steve
    garyhiggins likes this.
  17. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Steve, forgive the swearing but if you go on, :arghh: Wickipedia, and type in model kit manufactureres 1960's, they have a full (ish) list. It might jog your memory :).

Cheers, Gary.
    Babelfish likes this.
  18. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I remembered and I found 'em!! And all without hypnosis!

The company was called Pyro. I built & painted all of these and more. I would have been 7 / 8 / 9 years old.

pyro-d273-100-stegos.JPG pyro-d274-100-tyrannos.JPG pyro-d276-100-tricer.JPG pyro-d277-100-ankylos.JPG pyro-d278-100-dimetrod.JPG pyro-d280-100-corytho.JPG

I found some built examples as well in various places on the web, and by jolly jingo they are primitive by today's standards! I still wouldn't mind doing one now though, purely for nostalgia (some are better than others).

- Steve
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  19. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    BTW, when I was a kid the first horror movie I was allowed to stay up and see was "Curse of the Werewolf". When I crept along the passage to bed, my Dad jumped out of the bathroom at me snarling and growling :arghh:. I don't think I actually wet myself but it was a damn close run thing :LOL::).

Gary.
    napoleonpeart, Helm and Babelfish like this.
  20. Jazz A Fixture

England
    This was the first one I saw too Gary. One of the very best of the Hammer horrors. I still think Oliver Reeds werewolf was the best one.
    I remember seeing Salems Lot for the first time as a youth with my brother in law. It was really scary for its time. At the end I went into the dark kitchen to make a cup of tea and saw two red eyes staring at me. I also nearly wet myself before I realised they were the cooker lights!