1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

a new proposed project from Ellie's Miniatures

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by ellie, Mar 23, 2017.

1. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Chris thanks for the kind words yes we were looking at putting the helmet on the french guy I think it would look better. we are going to take a good look at the art work and base the sculpt around it with a little change here and their.

Ben/nl thanks we just hope others feel the same way about this project.

Cheers

ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
  2. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    The vignette will make for a compelling project, and Carl is clearly among the top five sculptors in the biz, so you can’t go wrong.

I’m a little doubtful about the viability of using Kickstarter. Although it’s been successful in the gaming hobby, I don’t think it’s seen much success in the scale modeling side of the hobby. Having monitored other Kickstarter initiatives in the past, modelers seem hesitant to submit their money without immediately having a model in hand. It’s worth a try, though, and I’ll anxiously watch to see how it goes, hoping for success.

Steven Brown
    Scale Model Soup
  3. BESPJL Active Member

Portugal
    Can you give the link for the kickstarter, please?

Thanks.
  4. Huw63 A Fixture

Hi Ian,

thanks for your clear explanation of your plan. Compared to white metal kits two 75mm figures for £100 is almost a bargain!

Using the same underlying design a Napoleonic French Cuirassier attacking an Austrian Cuirassier would be amazing! Nevertheless this will be amazing and I'm going to back it.

By the way I've used crowd funding with Michael Kontratos, Model Miniatures (?) for their steampunk set and with Kabuci studio for Death Dealer! Outside modelling I've supported an artist friend of mine getting a portfolio published. For me with enough backers this could be a great way forward and I don't think you should be sceptical of using this new funding means.

Cheers

Huw
  5. Ferris A Fixture

Bravo Ian for starting this! I hope it will be the first successful project of many.

It's not really my era, but I'd be willing to back this, as it is game-changing, at least in our part of the hobby. And quite a spectacular set as well, by the way.

Cheers
    Adrian
    Wings5797 and Huw63 like this.
  6. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I hope this does well for you, not my period but all the best.
  7. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks guys for the support we are doing our best to get this right I will be in touch once we have worked out our method of doing this. we have had a word from kick start and from what we have been told we would be better doing it the way we have planned all will be relieved by the start of next week.

What I will say is that we will have a page on our web site where we will take the pledges of support (no money at this point) then once we have hit the target we need to trigger the pre order we will contact the people who have pledged and then take the payment for the pre order. as I have said we need 35 pre orders to get this project going. it's not an impossible number and from the inquiries we have already had we could be on a winner but we will have to see.

this is a new thing for us and something that if it works out we will do again on another project. I'm sure other companies will be watching to see how this pans out. I have spent the day going through quality packaging and my friend has done the first draft of the certificate which looks good.

Paulo we will not be using kick start for this but I will give you the link to our page when we have set it up. hope that helps. we will hopefuly launch the page from monday. I will let every one know. till then thanks for the support now lets see if we can do this.

cheers

ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
  8. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi ian

Cool idea and one i have considered on numerous occasions. The difference is you are aski g for money upfront and then delivering later post sculpt post everything really.
    With kick starter you pledge but dont pay till its ready ie i have pledged 100 quid for some bits recently but they wont be ready till july ...so payement is in july.
    This is why i havent done it...how can you guarentee the monies and also what happens if people back out as heavens forbid they dont like it.
    Also what is the incentive to pledge beforehand and at what discount as surely you may just as well wait ...same kit etc.

Sorry for thequestions but these are what stopped me doing it.
    I dont particularly like kickstarter as being a bit old fashioned i think it lacks a certain faith in what you are doing...at times.

Stuart
    Wings5797 and ellie like this.
  9. Huw63 A Fixture

Hi Stu,

Kickstarter doesn't quite work as you describe it. The seller, developer, manufacturer etc sets a target for pledges. People pledge and once a target is reached then the seller contacts those who've made a pledge pay what the've pledged to provide the start capital to get things moving. Thus the risk is shared between all parties.

Look at Death Dealer on PF by Kabuci studio in Italy and follow the link to see what I mean.

Basically you get a free product for providing start capital to get a project going.

Cheers

Huw
    ellie likes this.
  10. juan antonio perez Active Member

Spain
    Hi Ian
    I think is a great idea as I said you no Facebook
    Carl Reíd is an excepcional Sculptor and he will do an amazing work, I am sure. Only I Say Thai if you need help just say me my friend. Get luck and my best wishes.
    Juan Pérez
    ellie and Huw63 like this.
  11. kevininpdx Well-Known Member

United-States
    I've backed several kickstarters. I was supremely disappointed by one but the rest were worth the wait. I have a suggestion....stretch goals. If you exceed your budget you have to offer incentives and announce them prior to reaching the goal. I can see the difficulty with figures to figure that out. Maybe added scenery items or something like that. I'm sad to say I want to back but it's not my era of interest and funds are limited for this hobby at the moment so it may not be possible. The thing you have going for you is you appear to be a reputable company with people who know you. People have been burned by ambitious projects from people who couldn't handle delivering what they promised. I wish you the best.
    Wings5797 and ellie like this.
  12. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Hi Huw

Yes your right but Ian isn't using Kickstarter, he is doing it on a pledge basis, then taking monies up front to get the project started, then providing the kit at a later date. Hence my concerns and why I haven't tried it.

If it can work its a great idea, lets face it the concept is good and its going to be sculpted by Carl so its going to be awesome.

I suppose we will have to wait and see.

Good luck ian and will be interested to see how this progress's

Stuart

PS Huw I knew you wouldn't be able to resist a cuirassier !!!!!!
    Huw63 and ellie like this.
  13. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Stu thanks for the kind words mate yes I see where you are coming from and the pit fall that will go along with it, the thing with kickstart is they take a percentage if the project goes ahead and our thoughts were that we try another way of doing it. at the moment we are just seeing if the interest is their to go ahead and it seems to be. we are working over the weekend on plans to have intensives to pledge. things like a voucher to use on our product which would cover any kit in our range as an incentive this would be availibale to the first 50 people that pledge then pre order. We would say 50 just in case we have people that back out at the last minute.

We would not ask for pre payment until the target of 35 is hit. I know what you are saying and we have thought long and hard about it, the hobby has to adapt and giving this a try just might set a new trend for the bigger projects that companies would like to try. we know it's a financial commitment and that the wait for it is at minimum a couple of months. it would in our view worth the wait.

with the hobby being like it is and the re casters costing companies large amounts of money this could be a way to try and stop that. I know it's a long shot but something has to be done. the master for a project like this is very expensive and then we have production costs this way we could half the cost. the first 35 pay for the master and Ellie's stand all production costs. this way the risk is shared and getting back the investment should be made that bit easier.

All we can do is try and do our best and hope that the hobby fraternity give us a chance to do it. since we have launched this we have had a great response and quite a number of people have said they would get behind it. which is positive. over the weekend we will work on getting the final draft together and put it on our web site and then we shall she if we can bring this project together. all we can do is try.

thanks to everyone who has posted and sent PM's we will release more in due course.

cheers

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
  14. Ferris A Fixture

Vouchers on the next buy are a good idea I think. Another incentive for pre-ordering could be alternative heads, or for example the casualty figure at the base, added nameplate or tailor-made base. This does add to initial production cost, but it adds that rarity factor that many modellers are sensitive to. Just some ideas.

Cheers
    Adrian
  15. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Adrian we are going to have two different heads that will only be in the first 35 orders placed. the heads one bare the other with a helmet we will also be doing vouchers along with this. we will be putting all the info on the web site very soon we have been working on the layout and things today and will do more tomorrow. but it will go something like the following:

first 35 orders will come with two heads & a £20.00 voucher

the next 15 orders will get £10.00 Voucher

then the next 50 pre orders will get £5.00 voucher

this is what we have in mind for the pre orders, it should be an incentive for people who want to get involved in this exciting project.

cheers

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
  16. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Adrian we are going to have two different heads that will only be in the first 35 orders placed. the heads one bare the other with a helmet we will also be doing vouchers along with this. we will be putting all the info on the web site very soon we have been working on the layout and things today and will do more tomorrow. but it will go something like the following:

first 35 orders will come with two heads & a £20.00 voucher

the next 15 orders will get £10.00 Voucher

then the next 50 pre orders will get £5.00 voucher

this is what we have in mind for the pre orders, it should be an incentive for people who want to get involved in this exciting project.

cheers

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
  17. Huw63 A Fixture

Hi Stu

You're spot on I assuemd it was Kickstarter... but it clearly isn't.

Re. Cuirassiers - is it that obvious that I can't resist it???? ;-)

Cheers

Huw
    stu likes this.
  18. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Ian,

When do you expect you will have the link to pre-order?

Chris
  19. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Chris

we hope to have the link up by Monday we are just working on the page now then we will make an announcement on here and various forums on FB. the first list will be the pledge list this will be where we ask you to give you pledge this will be your name and email address then when we hit the target of 35 or more we will then email everyone to pay for the pre order. though our web site of bay contacting us. i must stress that if people back out after paying the pre order the money will be refunded within 24 hours of cancellation and their name will be taken off the list.

The first 35 will receive the two head set I can confirm this. if you want to be one of the first please PM we with your email address and we will add you to the pledge list this will put you in the first 35. that goes for anyone who wants to pledge if you PM me I will add you to the list.

thanks

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com