1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

A change from round figures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Tecumsea, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I haven't posted for some months but have been working on a few figures. As a diversion from round figures I have been painting some of Rafa and Ken's Demi-Rondes.

I find these larger scale flats very enjoyable and recommend them as a change for anyone getting a bit stale with round figures.

Sorry about the poor pics taken this afternoon, really to emphasise the point rather than my poor painting skills.

Keith P6240015.JPG P6240016.JPG P6240011.JPG View attachment 129099 P6240013.JPG P6240012.JPG P6240014.JPG
    Joe55, Meticulous, Edorta and 8 others like this.
  2. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Keith,

They look great - I think you're doing your skills a dis-service! I would be very pleased if I could get close to that!

Steve
  3. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Keith,
    Painting flats is a skill in itself and you have done a stellar job, my pick of the crop is the two Crimean figures, very well done.
    cheers
    Richie
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Lovely work keith and very well displayed. I tried to pick out a favourite but I can't, they're all good. Are you doing some more?

Roger.
  5. phc35 Well-Known Member

United-States
    awesome pieces

Jay
  6. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    All superbly painted - pleased to see relief sculpts are building a following on this forum.

Just finished my first relief sculpt - looking forward to showing it on PF soon.
  7. Helm A Fixture

England
    Saw some of these in the making, Keith they look first class mate I'm still banging my head trying to get round to doing those two knights of Ken's cracking sculpts but I'm really struggling you appear to be well on the road to true mastery
    Steve
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work on all of them.

marc
  9. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Lovely job on all of these, Keith. Great display too.
    Cheers
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Keith ,

Nice one , lots of work there , colours look good , painting bright and distinctive , I have several demi's but am surrounded by boxes due to move ...certainly looking forward to getting the brushes out might give them a go

Must admit Kens Crimean pair looks really good together

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  11. Hawk_Uk PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Keith,

Very nice work, good rage of subject and all nicely painted. Hope you are bring them to Figure World?

Regards
  12. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Those two Crimean figures look rather splendid Keith!

- Steve
  13. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I had the pleasure of seeing most of these at the Leeds WR meet a couple of weeks ago where they bagged a well deserved Gold. The pics don't do them justice - great flats Keith! Gary
  14. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Thank you all for your kind comments guys, the post was really to give a push to the creators of this medium, particularly after a senior member of the BFFS made an unfortunate comment about this type of flat at a show I attended last year. Although I am a member of the BFFS negative comments about alternative work are unhelpful to the society and probably explain why I look in on PF daily and the BFFS forum about every quarter! Having said that I commend the effort made to improve the website over recent months and hope that it leads to an increase in web traffic to the benefit of the society.

I have also painted a few larger scale flats and find them a very enjoyable excursion from round figures, if anything it has made me more aware of the need to emphasise light and shade in both mediums an area I find very difficult as I use a very simple pallette. Usually a maximum of 5 colours in any one area but most usually just 3.

As some of you have commented it is good to see more of these being produced by Ken Farrer, Rafa and others and I hope that eventually all members of the BFFS will realise the need to move forward and embrace this change from the traditional flat figure

Regarding my painting, the Crimean figures seem to have drawn the most favourable comments but my preference is for the Napoleonic, as I will probably have them on the White Rose stand at Figure World you can draw your own conclusions from seeing them warts and all (The photography flatters them) I am always in awe of the PF members who can show real close ups of their 54mm figures and display the most precise brushwork-just wish I could aspire to that level of artistic ability!

Thanks again and a particular thanks to Roger for his advice to go darker on the Crimean Figures when I discussed them with him.

Keith
  15. Hawk_Uk PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Keith,

Look forward to seeing you at Figure World, I have an envelop for you from Rafa.

For those attending the show I will have Rafa's range of semi-flats, including the recently released Gladiators, and the BFFS flats available for closer inspection.
  16. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    To be honest Keith those members from the BFFS should wake up and smell the coffee! They're bias towards pure German made tin flats will only relegate this wonderful art form back to the elitist doldrums its been in for years. This art-form is expanding and will only benefit the flat figure community for years to come! The work that Keith, Rafa, Gary Dombrowski and others are producing are creating a long awaited revival, one that will lead others into a new and refreshing field of figure making.

If you want to see the rich diversity of this art-form take a trip over to Steve Lloyds website (Flat Tin Figures) to see how a long time devotee has embraced all sections of this community. Steve is a PF member here. I'm there too!

As for me?

I'm totally hooked on relief sculpting. Here's my contribution - Rich Sculpts
    polyphemus, DEL and billyturnip like this.
  17. Rafa Cebrian Active Member

Spain
    Great job Keith, I am delighted to see the painted figures.

Rafa.
  18. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Richard, nice work on the flats and a subject area that is relatively unexplored, hope you do well with them

Hi Rafa, thanks for providing some nice Napoleonics to work on-I only wish I could paint them as well as you!......keep them coming

Keith
    Rich Sculpts likes this.
  19. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Keith you did an excellent work.

Pedro.
  20. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Thanks Pedro let's hope it encourages interest in this medium. Hope everything is going well for you my friend keep those nicely painted figures of yours coming.

Keith