1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

A+B Putty

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Chrisr, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    I have been reading in Bill Ottinger's History Masterclass he uses A+B Putty to sculpt and fill on his History Conversions. I have been using Green Stuff, which while OK I find a little difficult and sticky to work with. I have also used Milliput which is good, but I find the sticks harden and thus is not economical for me - I get too little from the sticks.

Has anyone used A+B Putty ( http://www.aplusbputty.com ), and if so how have you found working with it?

What putty's do people find best of all to work with?

I am pretty much a novice at this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
  2. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Try keeping Miliput in an airtight container - it will last much longer.

I dont really have that problem, as I get through a pack a week!(y)
    Chrisr likes this.
  3. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I use Aves Apoxie Sculpt, works pretty well for me. Its curing time leaves me enough time to make adjustments as I work with it.

I've used Milliput, too, the regular grade, not the super-fine. That was OK, too. It did go hard over time, but for me, that took years. I kept it in the original plastic bags that each stick came in.

I also have Sculpey, but I haven't used it that much. Having to bake it is a bit of a pain, especially if you're using it with other materials that shouldn't be heated. Paul Keefe has used a hair dryer or something similar to cure it, but I haven't tried that.

Prost!
    Brad
    Chrisr likes this.
  4. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Magic Sculpt. Smooths with a wet finger or brush. Get the 1lb set to start with, a little can go a long way. Has a pretty good life span in the tub as well if you keep it well sealed, though the hardener starts to get a bit dry over time. Supposedly you can heat the dry hardener in a microwave and it softens again, but by that point I usually just by new stuff.
    Chrisr likes this.
  5. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    I used to use A&B quite a bit, but now I use Aves and find it to be much better.

Jason
    Chrisr likes this.
  6. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia

Many thanks Valiant. Good advice as I just wrapped it in the original wrappers. My problem is I don't do that modelling, but with the inspiration looking at what members on this forum do, I am getting into it

Many thanks Brad. I hadn't heard of that, and Jason Green also recommends it, so will try it.

Many thanks Jason. I had heard of others using it, and will give it ago.

Many thanks Jason. I hadn't heard of Aves previously. Brad also uses it, so I will see if I can get some.

To all,
    Really appreciate your advice and taking the time to reply. Looks like there are better products than A+B Putty and Green Stuff around.

Cheers
    Chris
  7. neill Active Member

United-States
    I used A&B for years and found it very workable. Got hook on Magic Sculpt when a friend gave me a 2tub kit. Still use the A*B often to create/bulk out the Armatures of my work. I rely more on the Magic Sculpt and occasional Apoxie for the fine detail work. "seems" like finer grain to me.

Neill
    Chrisr likes this.
  8. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia

Thank you Neill. I appreciate your comments and advice.

Chris
  9. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ive only ever used Milliput, purely because it's cheap, readily available and I dont have to send for it or get it from shows. I know people knock it, but for my purposes it's second to none and is inexpensive for the amounts I buy - I dread to think how much some of the more expensive clays would work out at at the quantities I buy! For very large bronzes, I still use ceramic clay or Plasticine. I do use Duro for smaller details and that also is kept in an airtight box(y)
  10. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland