1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 92nd Gordon Highlander 1815 1/10th Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Geoff Charman, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Bought from SK Miniatures, it's Young Miniatures 1/10th bust of 92nd Gordon Highlander at Waterloo in 1815. So it is back to the scarlet.

P1120692 (2).JPG

He is the first bust from Young I have had and looks very nicely moulded, so first job is to carefully remove the pouring lumps and give him a good hot soapy wash.

Geoff
    phil_h, anstontyke, Mike S. and 4 others like this.
  2. Graham A Fixture

England
    Looking forward to this Geoff. The Young’s busts are very nice.
    anstontyke and Geoff Charman like this.
  3. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Thanks Graham, I've just cleaned him up and washed him and he certainly is a nice crisply moulded bust, and quite an old one I believe.

Parts now need to dry before fixing onto holding sticks before priming.

Geoff
    anstontyke and Graham like this.
  4. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom

Hi Geoff,you made a good choice my friend,i painted this a few years ago,its a lovely sculpt,enjoy (y)
  5. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Thanks Smudger, I have had him on my list for some time but others have caught my eye before referring to the list, the checker band with test me but hay-hoe that what modelling is all about.

Geoff
    anstontyke and smudger1960 like this.
  6. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Looking forward to following this one Geoff. And you are right, the Young busts are very very nice. I have done a couple and have a few in my GGA including the one you are just beginning.
  7. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Another great bust, following with much interest
  8. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Thanks Guys, I shall be priming him tomorrow morning so may start him during the afternoon.

Geoff
    anstontyke and Viking Bob like this.
  9. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Take your time over the chequered band and you'll be ok geoff,don't rush it
  10. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Thanks I certainly will take my time, I do normally, even if others think I am a bit speedy, I just enjoy painting.

Geoff
    anstontyke likes this.
  11. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Primed and started with some colour. I usually start with the face but as I consider the hardest part is the Bonnet checkered band I would do that first, I wasn't happy with the first attempt so tried again and happier with this one.

P1120700 (2).JPG

While the paint on the band was drying I blocked in the initial colours for the bust body, doing the white mix of lacings and belts first then doing a darker shade of red for the uniform as the red covers the white better that the other way around as the the red I find bleeds thorough if not fully dry.

P1120699 (2).JPG

I can see looking at the pic I have to do a small amount of touching up on the Bonnet band but happy so far.

Geoff
  12. Graham A Fixture

England
    Great start, like the checkered pattern, looks very good.
  13. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Getting some good tips here, it's a lovely wee bust and you're doing a grand job so far. All the best.
    Scotty.
  14. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Many thanks Guys,
    Graham, it was the bit that worried me as my brush hand is a bit shaky but I'm happy with it.
    Scotty, welcome aboard, you are right there, it is a nice bust and pleased I can pass on a few tips.

I shall now continue with the face using oil based Artist's oils.

Geoff
    Scotty and anstontyke like this.
  15. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Geoff,
    You are off to your usual great start. I really like the reds. Getting the darker red of the rankers coats is not easy at least for me. I always find it hard to keep the tone from going too brown.
  16. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Well Geoff, off to a blinding start and it looks great. The diced band looks good to me as well. I can’t keep up with you mate.
  17. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Many thanks, the red is Vallejo Flat Red then I shall use their Red which is like a light crimson for the underside of the creases then scarlet for the highlights first as a weak wash over the whole uniform then neat picking out the raised areas.
    If it's going brown you could be using too many colours in the mix.

Geoff
    napoleonpeart and anstontyke like this.
  18. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Thanks Bob, I'm pleased you like bonnet band. I am going slow mate, I'm thinking that my painting technique must be different as I get things done quicker.

Geoff
    anstontyke likes this.
  19. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom

I used to have trouble with the red on other ranks tunics but I now use the Andrea red paint set and have found that quite good.
    Geoff Charman, clrsgt and anstontyke like this.
  20. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Nice clean work Geoff. I like the headband, really well done, as are the eyes. Look forward to the final result.

Chris
    Geoff Charman likes this.