1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed 79th Cameron Highlander / Waterloo 1815

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by smudger1960, Feb 10, 2013.

1. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    When it comes to the british army during the waterloo campaign i've always found the highland regiments my favourite,and none more so than the 79th cameron highlanders who fought with great distinction at both Quatre Bras and Waterloo where they lost heavy numbers of casualties,this is my 2nd offering regarding this regiment having already completed the 75mm Piper Kenneth Mackay last year.
    This bust first came to my attension last year in july when it was reviewed here on planet figure by M.J.Kim of S.T Models,its a 1/10th scale resin bust of a Sergeant - Grenadier Company in Marching Order 1815 and is sculpted by Carl Reid,Carl needs no introduction on this site as many of you are aware of his great sculpting talents and yet again he surpassed himself with this beautiful sculpt,as i said before the kit is cast in resin except for the shaft of the spontoon which is Brass rod,the sculpting is clean and crisp with excellent detail and fits together really well with just a minimal amount if filler required,the first tthing that struck me about the bust was the face,it has so much expression representing a strong scottish character of a soildier on campaign and was a real joy to paint as was all the bust.
    As with all my projects i wanted to add some extras in terms of weathering as when completing Waterloo subjects its very important i feel to try and portray a soldier in a battleground scenario,i did'nt change or add to much but i decided to add some wear and tear to the jacket,to achieve this i added thin beads of milliput to some of the seams and just before the putty starts to set i opened them up to represent the split seams which was always evident on uniforms during napoleonic campaigns,i also added a tear to the upper left arm and another tear in the left elbow,to finish i mixed tiny amounts of pollyfilla mixed with some gold ochre and umber and dabbed thes with a tiny piece of sponge to represent dried areas of mud,this i added very sparingly to areas of the jacket and belts,i know its not everyones cup of tea to weather a finished piece but its a part of modeling and painting i enjoy.
    All final painting was achieved using oils over GW acrylic undercoats,the metal areas were completed using the Andrea gold and Silver paint sets plus Windsor and Newton silver ink for the catch lights.
    The base was provided by my good friend Ron Tamburrini,his full range can be found on his website at www.simplesite.com/ron-tamburrini

The bust is available to buy from Steve kirtley at www.skminiatures.co.uk
    ST10-001 - 79th Cameron Highlander / Waterloo

Many thanks for taking the time to look,all coments are always welcome

Happy Modeling :)

Brian 79th 012.JPG 79th 014.JPG 79th 015.JPG 79th 016.JPG 79th 018.JPG 79th 019.JPG 79th 021.JPG 79th 023.JPG 79th 024.JPG 79th 027.JPG 79th 028.JPG 79th 030.JPG 79th 031.JPG 79th 033.JPG 79th 034.JPG
    Kirtles, Elia, Richie and 21 others like this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Very neat work on the lining Brian.
    The little extras have given it character.
    Very nice,
    Carl.(y)
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    This fine bust gives us the chance to do asoldier of the 79th without that horribly complex tartan....nice job!

colin
  4. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Brian excellent painting mate and a neat idea to add the wear and tear to the jacket a very impressive result. (y)
    Cheers Ken
  5. Helm A Fixture

England
    Excellent job Brian and for this figure I'd say weathering is a must and yours, and the wear and tear are perfectly done IMO

Steve
  6. diamond cutter Active Member

United-Kingdom
  7. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Brian I think you made a wonderfull job!! And your right about the weathered and worned out uniform... you made some nice details that contribute to the realism of the figure.
    I don't have a problem in accepting that, as well as, against the opinion of some in my home, put paint a man's beard...
    That painting is very well done... no need to say that t you at this point.

Anyway, Congrats for another beautifull piece!!

Regards
    Pedro
  8. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Another beautifully rendered bust Brian-hope to see them at Figureworld.

Keith
  9. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb Brian, those little extra details take it to another level.

Regards

Ron
  10. Don Well-Known Member

Wonderful work Brian, some great stuff coming from your bench. Love what you have managed with his feather bonnet and rucksack, they really stand out to me, Have to admit mate, its all good.

Don
  11. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Brian what can I say other than I agree with everyone else........an absolutely excellent result.
    Cheers
    Derek
  12. yoshi Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    hoi Smudger. perfect. what a beautifuk piece. i like the wear en tear very much.
    thx!
  13. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Ditto Brian.Cracking paint job."Not eveybodys cup of tea" but bloody realistic Brian.
    Brian
  14. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Very nice indeed
  15. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Beautiful figure both sculpting and painting.
    Gordon
  16. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Nicely done sir.
  17. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent modifications and great paint.
    Cheers
    John
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Looks like a veteran to me Brian. Well done, Those small changes have made a big difference.
  19. Don Johnson Active Member

United-States
    This is a perfect example of "painter's style". We don't all paint the same way, and we shouldn't! Well conceived and well executed. An excellent example of the art of figure painting. Well done!!
    DEL likes this.
  20. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Brian, it's always a pleasure to see your work and this ones a real beauty.
    Cheers