1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

75mm Sioux by Frank-Miniatures

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Frank, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Frank PlanetFigure Supporter

Hello all,
    here are the next new release
    Sculped by Carl Reid in 75mm

The figure coming soon by Frank-miniatures.com

We see us in nearly three weeks in Folkestone

Frank

Attached Files:

2. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  3. custer760 Well-Known Member

Beautifully rendered by Carlito after an idea from Frank,can just imagine him going up the Hill at Little Big Horn to join the attack on Custer....Superb,love it.
    Regards
    Pete
  4. mortier A Fixture

Germany
    Good to see a new 75mm figure from Carl
    that's one for me
  5. Kevin D. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very Nice! A great addition to the grey army. Not a criticism, just a question from one who does not know, Guy, Carl, anybody...why are the feathers sticking straight out?

Thanks,

Kevin D.
  6. tomifune A Fixture

United-States

Because he's excited?:rolleyes::eek:

Bob
    Kevin D. and napoleonpeart like this.
  7. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Great piece of work by Carl,I'll get a better look in folkestone
  8. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Ask him :D
    [IMG]

Seriously I think that your comment is absolutely valid - while the impressive headgear with the buffalo horns was worn on the warpath (especially by the Comanche) the clothstripe with the long feathers (originally fixed into bone pipes to make them sticking out straight as far as I know) is more likely a ceremonial adornment.
    [IMG]

Cheers, Martin
  9. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Hi Kevin,
    The feathers were held in position with a thin twine. The twine was fed btween each feather, so they all moved in unison. Although this shows a full fwther bonnet, the principle remains.
    I hope this helps explain.

Carl

Attached Files:

10. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Hi Martin,
    The video you posted is a dancer. The feather arrangement on his back are called a bustle! They often wore 2 one on the shoulders and one on the ass.

The other you show probably are comanche.
    But they did wear full feather, horned and split horned bonnets into battle. The horned bonnet held a particular mystical quality. In some cases was more esteemed than the full feather bonnet.

The image shows the split horned bonnet worn by White Bull, nephew of Sitting Bull both Lakota Sioux. Present at The Little Bighorn.

Carl

Attached Files:

11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Another stunner from Carl.

Marc
  12. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Carl,
    the dancer who obviously does not want to kill his audience was posted to show that feathers fastened that way can stick out straight while moving along:) .
    War bonnets with buffalo horns were undoubtedly worn in combat (T. R. Fehrenbach: Comanche - History of a People - a very interesting read btw) . If cloth stripes adorned with long feathers and feather bonnets that sometimes extended to the feet of the warrior who had earned them for good deeds (not just deeds on the warpath) were worn during fighting outside Hollywood and Buffalo Bill`s Wild West Show is doubtful but I will avoid the dreaded accuray debate.
    Nice sculpt!
    Cheers, Martin
    Replica of an original (Blackfeet) kept at Denver Art Museum
    Buffalo bonnet.jpg
    Piegan Warrior
    Iron breast Piegan.jpg
  13. AJLaFleche Well-Known Member

My gray army has another recruit, I think.
    Pictographs by Amos Bad Hear Bull and White Bird depicting fighting at the Little Big Horn show long trains of feathers and cloth trailers. Several other participants created pictographs of themselves at the battle with long trains. Richard Hook depicts Plains Indians and specifically combatants at the Greasy Grass as wearing this type of adornment. [IMG]
  14. Kevin D. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thank you for the answers! That should be a LOT of fun to paint!! As far as the dancer is concerned, I just thought he was happy to see me :rolleyes:

Kd
    tomifune likes this.