1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique 75m/m Sarracen (scale 75 Class)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John Bowery, Jan 23, 2018.

1. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    The last figure for 2017 :D As you fellows know, I usually paint in oil over acrylics. :) I am always willing to learn and grow.:arghh:
    In November 2017 Scale 75 U.S.A, held a two day painting class with Julio Cabos in Acrylics at the Scale 75 U.S.A warehouse in Texas. The First two day class was a full figure class, The second two day class was a bust class. I only took the full figure class. Since the warehouse is only and hours drive away, I jumped at the class having missed the last class a couple of years ago due to prior commitments. :D
    The classes were limited to 15 students and Julios demonstrations were projected on a large screen so all could see what he was doing. Excellent way to see what he was doing. 15 was a great number to have plenty of personal attention which I needed a lot:arghh:

This model is not for Competition but for learning and is done in all acrylics (Scale 75). I thought that you may like to see my attempt at this strange medium. The style is of the Spanish style, only I was probably not as aggressive as Julio in high contrast painting. Difficult to do after all these years. saracen01edt.jpg

The figure came with the class registration and was already primed with black primer and highlighted white primer. and on pegs ready to paint.

After the class he was 80% finished but not assembled and still in pieces on pegs.
    I had not completed the lace on the exterior garment or shoes. The pattern was completed on the interior clothes.:)

saracen02edt.jpg

saracen03edt.jpg

saracen04edt.jpg

saracen05edt.jpg

saracen06edt.jpg

I finished the sword and shield and lace at home with the help of printed instructions received after the class for the colours used including the shadows and lights.
    I wanted to finish him and place him on a base and found this base.

saracen09edt.jpg

The base is finished in the colours of the Sarracen. The base under colour was black with The top base surface colour was dark Yellow tones with a sandy colour and texture and dried tufts added sparingly. The under- section with the black primer has green and purple and yellow areas all blended and lightened in areas with brown washes and brown black on the under surfaces. Dry grass tufts added sparingly.

I did receive my diploma and is now hanging on the wall of our craft room. Also a work sheet used during the painting session .

All comments are welcome and appreciated.
    Thanks for looking.
    Cheers
    John
  2. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    That is very fine work John. Effective results for each material and texture, particularly like the finish achieved on the metal scales. (y)
    Cheers
    Derek
    Perseas, anstontyke and John Bowery like this.
  3. marco55 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very nice John.I find it hard to believe you took a class as your a top notch painter anyway.
    Mark
    John Bowery and anstontyke like this.
  4. mark126804 Active Member

United-States
    Absolutely beautiful work.

Mark
  5. Phater Active Member

United-States
    You did a great job finishing it up, John. Painting with acrylics is a very challenging transition for we old oil painters but you seem to be well on the way. Do you remember what colors he said were good to use for gold lace?
    Tom
  6. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    WOW !!!!!
    Keith
    John Bowery, Perseas and anstontyke like this.
  7. Oda A Fixture

First figure all in acrylics and it already looks very good.I think you should keep it up.Spanish school seems to be working quite right for you too.

Oda.
    John Bowery, Perseas and anstontyke like this.
  8. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    That is superb John, in particular the colours used in the armour. Very nice indeed.
  9. anstontyke A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    great work john, you have certainly got to grips with acrylics.

tony
    John Bowery, Oda and Perseas like this.
  10. Pedro Hidalgo Member

Spain
    John,

Although I'm not a big fan of that Scale75 offering in particular, you have achieved a really very well balanced figure.

I like specially the face, the boots and the coat.

Also of course the plate armor.

Are you using Scale75 metals? Are you using inks for shadowing them?

Best Regards and congratulations.
    John Bowery, Oda and anstontyke like this.
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Nice work. The face is great.

Marc
    John Bowery, anstontyke and Perseas like this.
  12. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Very nice work

Mobo
  13. swralph A Fixture

Real nice paintwork John:).
  14. Cannonball A Fixture

Super work John particularly using a different medium in the way of acrylics. Seems you've got to grips with it very quickly.
  15. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    You did a bang up job on this one John. Excellent (y)!

Joe
  16. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    really cool !!! i love the metals particularly :)
  17. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Wonderful painting John and a great job on the base/groundwork!

I left the ranks of Oil painters many, many years ago primarily due to the smell (allergies) and extended drying time. I would never try to "convert" oil painters to acrylics as it is a very personal choice and using both mediums, depending on the situation, is the obvious compromise. However, I use acrylics exclusively and when combined with a wet palette , I couldn't be happier.

Anyway, great work, especially for your first full acrylic figure. You've definitely added another tool to your toolbox. :)(y)

Cheers,
    Ken
  18. Roland Meng Active Member

Hungary
    The Scale armor looks Great!! Well Done!!

Cheers
    Roland
    John Bowery likes this.
  19. chailey Active Member

England
    Unusual base, it really sets off the figure nicely, I'm still trying to come to terms with acrylics so hopefully your fine efforts will inspire me to carry on!

Steve
    John Bowery likes this.
  20. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Excellent work John. I especially like how you handled the mail and the fine detailed paintwork on the surcoat. I also like the unusual base.
    John
    John Bowery likes this.