1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

71st Highlanders uniform help

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by montythefirst, Dec 29, 2014.

1. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi I received this bust for Christmas:

[IMG]

However I do not know anything really about the Crimean War and therefore I am looking for good 71st Highlanders Officer's uniform references.

thanks
  2. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Any good to you?
    8461a7634f3e81b568c6437e1dd83498.jpg e4fb5917a28ea07a24b0c71a30a8df2c.jpg

Barrie.
    peedee likes this.
  3. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    the band is defo the same, there just so many different styles that were worn
  4. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    what i really want to know is is the forage cap supposed to be green
  5. martin tabony Well-Known Member

United-States
    I can dig around for more definat info if you want, but I would say yes to the dark green forage cap as that is a traditional colour for the head gear of light infantry.

Martin
  6. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    thanks for that
  7. Old Pete Active Member

Scotland
    The cap should be blue with a red white and green band like the highland bonnet,the center square is green as they are not a royal regiment.They may be light infantry but they are still highland.When they were converted to light infantry during the Napoleonic war the highland bonnet was cocked up into the shape of a light infantry shako. I hope this is of help
    peedee and housecarl like this.
  8. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom

so was this still the case in during the crimean war then
  9. martin tabony Well-Known Member

United-States
    I believe Old Pete is spot on. I was having a senior moment thinking about green home service helmets, green berets etc. When in fact the HLI last pattern shako is blue with diced band!!:oops:

Martin
  10. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    thanks for the help guys
  11. Old Pete Active Member

Scotland
    I belive so through the shako would likely be the Albert pattern
  12. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    That makes sense as the only reference for the forage caps seemed to share this style like this one from the 74th Highlanders

Attached Files:

peedee likes this.
  13. Old Pete Active Member

Scotland
    I believe in 1881 the 71st were amalgamated with the 74th to become the Highland Light Infantry (Princess Margaret,s Own Glasgow and Ayrshire Regiment) the 74th becoming the second batalion
    peedee likes this.
  14. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
  15. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Just a tiny point.
    The dark blue is so dark it appears almost black from more than a foot or two away.
    All painted illustraions have to show them more blue than black in order that you can tell.
    Even antique campaign headdress faded by weather etc faded only at the 'edges' not all over to blue.
    Paul
    Scotty and BarrieHynd like this.