1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

6th Inniskilling dragoon

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by steve j, Feb 28, 2015.

1. steve j Active Member

England
    ok bit of a problem with girdle and facing one book has red and yellow with yellow facing another red and white and white facing and the painting guide with the kit says dark blue HELP
  2. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

I think blue but nearly every image contradicts :-0
    image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

3. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The C.E. Franklin book "British Napoleonic Uniforms" has the following print for the 6th Dragoons:-

6th Inniskilling Dragoons.jpg

Cheers,
    Andrew
  4. steve j Active Member

England
    ok yellow facing but which one is right for the girdle
  5. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The large print above is from “The Thin Red Line” by the Fosten brothers, and is titled “Dragoons 1815”.
    I’ve attached a pdf of the text that goes with it. The third paragraph on the second page deals with girdles, and states “NCOs and Privates had webbing girdles in lace colour, with facing-colour stripes; regiments with yellow or white facings had either blue or red stripes”.

To me that implies yellow facings/girdles with blue stripes and white facings/girdles with red stripes. But I could of course be wrong.

Unfortunately, Bryan Fosten in his Almark booklet on the Union Brigade says “yellow with two red stripes for the Inniskillings”, which contradicts his statement in The Thin Red Line publication. Perhaps his interpretation of ‘or’ is different to mine.

The final pdf is the Inniskilling text from the Franklin book. This is even more unhelpful, giving white with red stripes and even white with yellow stripes (after Hamilton-Smith). Historex appear to have followed this latter description in their print above.

I must admit that I’m now somewhat confused.
    Maybe someone out there has got a more definitive piece of information.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Attached Files:

6. steve j Active Member

England
    this was my problem i'm using the same books as reference plus the colour plate from the waterloo companion as shown above from graham
  7. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The lacing is either yellow or white for all the regiments and, with facing colours other than yellow or white, the selection of additional colour on the girdle is simple.
    The problem comes with the white or yellow facings. If one goes back to heraldic references, one must not place metals (gold/yellow and silver/white) together. Hence the simple solution of the blue or red lines.
    I therefore think I'd tend to stick with Graham (and The Thin Red Line description) and go with the yellow girdle and two blue lines.

Cheers,
    Andrew