1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 54mm Labayen French grenadier Officer , 1780

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by MarquisMini, Oct 19, 2014.

1. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Hello planeteers,
    I am really excited to start my work on this figure.
    It is my first of Don Ramon Labayen , a well known spanish miniature sculptor who died few years ago.
    I want to thank Eduardo Garcia (Edorta), who helped me get these figures since it is very hard to find some on the market, Edorta himself has a great collection of painted labayen figures.
    I am not sure which regiment i will paint but for now is waiting to dry up from the primer.
    Regards

Attached Files:

2. polyphemus Well-Known Member

Good to see one of the old Labayen figures. I had a few years ago back at the time they were imported by Hinchliffe Models, sadly all gone.

Geoff
    MarquisMini likes this.
  3. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Hi Daniel, I see you have started with the officer.
    The sculptor of these models is Fermín Galarreta. This artist worked for the brand approximately until 1980. The models of the Rochambeau division, were released ​​to commemorate the bicentennial of the USA. He didn´t used epoxy or similar materials to sculpt, he used plasticine! Unfortunately, is not well known, but I think he has been one of the better sculptors since 1961.
    This is one of my favorite series of the brand.
    Military miniatures painted by Eduardo Garcia
    Wings5797, Diegoff and MarquisMini like this.
  4. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Sadly indeed Geoff, some stuff should be available forever.
    Best regards
  5. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina

Thanks for the info Eduardo,i tought the sculptor was Ramon itself.
    Saludos!
  6. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I decided to paint this figure in the Royal Deux-Ponts Regiment,it is one of my favorite German Regiments in French Service.
    The Regulation of 1779 stated that all foreign regiments (except swiss and irish) wore dark sky blue.
    In this case this regiment had lemon yellow lapels, cuffs and piling at the pockets with Fleur de Lys in the facing color on the turnbacks.
    For the base color i've used a mix of vallejo medium blue and a dab of dark prussian blue.
    Lights i added sky blue to the mix and shadows i added more dark prussian blue.
    Cheers 20141020_062211.jpg 20141020_202616.jpg 20141020_202644.jpg
  7. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  8. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina

Thnks Eduardo, i think i have to decide on wether increase the lights or shadows on the coat a little bit more, but the picture makes it look like i did not have much of a contrast between them.
    Thanks for watching
  9. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Right, this is bacause the proximity or place of the lamp when you make the photo. The trick I use is to put the lamp a bit far, and increase the sensibility of the camera( iso, 80-100-200 etc). and I put it above the figure, to send an aerial illumination. ( Luz cenital)

Military miniatures painted by Eduardo Garcia
  10. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Better pic but i still suck at taking pictures
    20141021_122601.jpg
    ChaosCossack and billyturnip like this.
  11. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    MarquisMini likes this.
  12. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Yes, buy i did some more touch ups last night and looks much better.
    I love the folds and creases on this figure, i am having a great time painting it.
    Saludos
    Wings5797 likes this.
  13. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Making progress.... 20141022_084845.jpg
    ChaosCossack, Joe55 and billyturnip like this.
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Coming along nicely Daniel. (y)

Roger.
    MarquisMini likes this.
  15. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina

Thanks Roger!
    I love these figures!
  16. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Yup, this classic is looking sharp (y)!

Joe
    MarquisMini likes this.
  17. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Looking good Daniel. I like that you strengthened the shadows instead of overdoing the lights. I prefer to seeing that... gives depth without taking away from the basic colour of the piece of clothing.

Following along

Colin
    Wings5797 and MarquisMini like this.
  18. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina

Thanks for your kind words joe :)
  19. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina

Thanks my friend, always nice to have you on the thread.
    the good thing about this figure is that si ce the size is a small 54mm and i could accentuate ligbt and shadows a little bit more without looking exessive.
    best regards
  20. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Like Colin, I really think that your work on the folds of this jacket are very well painted Daniel.
    Keep up the good work
    Keith