1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 54mm General Dorsenne

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Oct 29, 2014.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    My first 54mm in a while. I forgot how freakin' small these little buggers are. Good painting practice though. I have always liked this MM figure.....not as pudgy as some of them.

Still blending the face and need to match the eyes better.

Colin

P1010021.JPG P1010022.JPG P1010024.JPG
    samson, RFL, NickM and 7 others like this.
  2. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    This looks like a great start Colin,I have to agree with your point about pudgy though,I think Bruno Leibovitz is a fantastic sculptor but he does make some of his masterpieces a little on the fat side,great start anyway mate,will follow with interest
    crf likes this.
  3. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Eyes look good to me Colin, maybe I'm not seeing what you see ;)
    crf likes this.
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks gents. This is a fun figure. I have already stripped my first effort above and am starting again as I buggered up his eyes. Lessons learned. Lesson one - settle the eyes BEFORE painting the rest of the face. Lesson two....start dark and work towards light rather than starting mid tone as I do with busts.

I will post the next one too. Anyone want to start a pool on how many times I have go at this?

Colin
    Blind Pew likes this.
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Here is my 2nd attempt. A bit better. still more tightening up to do. Hope I don't screw it up :)

Colin

P1010029.JPG

P1010031.JPG
    Jaybo, Lasalle and ChaosCossack like this.
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    A bit of work on his bear skin. Fur undercoated dark flesh and then washed with multiple coats of black paint mixed with sepia ink, diluted so as to leave the fur texture exposed. Texture still to be highlighted with lighter paint.

P1010032.JPG P1010033.JPG P1010034.JPG P1010035.JPG
  7. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Here is an original document signed by Dorsenne while he was commanding the Army of the North in Spain. Its a leave approval for an officer of the Guard wishing to return to France to deal with family affairs. Dorsenne returned to France himself after this to undergo a trepanning operation (drilling a hole in the skull to expose the brain) to treat the head wound he suffered at Essling in 1809. Brave man in the age before anesthesia. He did not survive the operation.

image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg
    tiberius57, Huw63 and ChaosCossack like this.
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Cords and raquettes painted and inked.

P1010042.JPG P1010040.JPG P1010041.JPG
    tiberius57, Tonton, Tecumsea and 6 others like this.
  9. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Very nice start Colin. I still see signature CRF in your fleshtones even at this scale. The bearskin turned out well.

Speaking of scale... compared with your scratch built busts, this must feel like you're painting on the head of a pin!

Following along closely

The Other Colin
    crf likes this.
  10. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Bearskin isn't fully done yet but thx.

Yep I wanted to see if my 57 year old eyes could still see a 54 well enough to not make a hash of it. Touch and go a few times but I think I am still OK for a while yet :) But you are right, painting small scale stuff is very different than the larger cousins. Not much quicker though. Its good to revisit old ground sometimes.

Colin
  11. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I too have been doing this for the last few figures I've done. I think it gets the most crucial bit out of the way first. After all, the face is the focal part of 99% of figures, and within that you have to get the eyes right. Hence, if you've not done anything else any mistakes are far easier to correct.
    Before today I've done faces that I've been really happy with - then cocked the eyes up. Annoying at best...

good luck mate, I can see you're enjoying this one
    crf likes this.
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looking good at this point. Maybe darken the upper eyelid a bit more in the corner of the nose. That will look the eyes not so popedup
    Marc
    crf likes this.
  13. Lasalle A Fixture

Italy
    Very beautiful! Bravo!

Andrea
    crf likes this.
  14. Huw63 A Fixture

Some are a bit podgy I agree - but makes me feel better about my belly!!
    crf and Chris Mortimer like this.
  15. Huw63 A Fixture

I like the start to the figure - looks great. Thanks too for some reference material about Dorsenne. Interestingly there is evidence that the same treatment was used in Neolithic times! As a man who's twice fractured his skull it must have been agonising as you say.
    crf likes this.
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Nice work Colin.
    crf likes this.
  17. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    I never stop being amazed at what you achieve on your models and this fella being much smaller is no different. Also thanks for the info on the man as usual. Great stuff mate.
    crf likes this.
  18. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy
    very nice start
    crf likes this.
  19. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Still working the face but also progressing southwards.

P1010003.JPG P1010005.JPG P1010006.JPG
    Jaybo, NickM, Ferris and 4 others like this.
  20. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Very good start!(y)
    Please elaborate how you did the cords, raquettes, etc.
    Will follow very closely!
    Cheers,
    Zeno :)
    crf likes this.