1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 54 mm pegaso knight

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Alex, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    Hi all
    While waiting for some oils to dry on my 90 mm figure, I have
    decided to start painting a figure using only Vallejo acrylics. A first for me and actually this is my 2nd figure.

I must say that I think that acrylics are more suitable than oils for painting 54 mm figure like this one. You just have to dilute them a lot and bingo, much much more controllable than oils and you can obtain a finish that is really flat and not granular.

Eyebrows and beard are still not painted.

Armor plates are going to get painted. I tried first to polish the metal and then oils but no luck, the result was not to my taste so the figure was reprimed.

Feel free to comment

Alex

Attached Files:

housecarl likes this.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    You can speed up the drying time under a lightbulb in a box. I do that all the time.

As a oilpainter I totally disagree with these arguments. I think that oils are more controllable then arylic. When you made a disadvantage to dilute the acrylicpaint a little to much, it runs everywhere, but not where you want it. With oil, where you put the paint there you paint with it.
    Oilpaint is also flat if you use them correctly.
    And the best of the oilpaint is that there is more life into it, then in acrylic.

Alex[/QUOTE]
    But you made a good start.

marc
  3. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Great start on this guy.

But you made a good start.

marc[/QUOTE]

the same goes with acrylic. As long as you use them correctly they do exactly what you want. If you have acrylic paint running everywhere then you aren't applying them correctly. It is important to get almost all of the paint off your brush before going to the figure with it. it is almost comical the way oil/acrylic/enamel painters insist "their way" is the best. Paint is paint and fun is fun, use what you are comfortable with and enjoy the process.
  4. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    Don't get me wrong I love oil painting. I've been doing it for years on canvas. But I want to try everything.
    Yes I have a cooking chamber too but there are things which are very difficult to do with oils like very intricate patterns

Cheers

Alex
  5. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    Little update
    Small retouch on the face, eyebrows and mustache done.. more red on the lower lip soon
    Hit the mail with some Vallejo metallics but I don't like the look
    As you can see, you can see some individual flakes reflecting the incoming light.
    I was wondering if I would not add some diluted black acrylic layers in order to reduce the sparkling ? What do you think ? I would like to
    keep the mail lowkey in comparison with the other pieces of armour on the figure.
    I have some printers ink coming next week to do the armour plates on the legs
    Thanks!
    Alex

Attached Files: