1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

4th (Queen's Own) Light Dragoon 1854

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by pgarri27, Feb 7, 2014.

1. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    fIMG_4474.jpg fIMG_4467.jpg I need to read articles on how to photograph. This picture is somewhat washed out compared to the real item. It is a 75mm resin figure of an officer of the 4th (Queen's Own) Light Dragoons from Crimea.
    It was a fun figure to paint. My mate Rob is always complaining I paint the Frenchies (I paint a lot of Historex) so he'll be glad to see an English figure.

fIMG_4467.jpg
  2. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    The eyes are not proportional, pupils are very big...
    captnenglish likes this.
  3. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ah ha! I see. The figure's left eye is too small! I'll give it a go to match them. Thanks for pointing out something I totally missed.
    Pete
  4. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Petey, is this your work?
  5. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hi Steve, Yep it's mine.
  6. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Pete,
    I agree that you need to do some work on the eyes but other than that it is nicely painted.
    The; beard, gold lace detail and red facing colour are very well done. For me the blue you have used is too light, may be this is the photography, as you say maybe washed out. Have a look at the pictures below and see what you think.
    This is a 4th or Queens Own Light Dragoon Officers Uniform and Shako circa 1850. An exceptionally rare and possible unique example of a "Charge of the Light Brigade" period officer`s uniform and Albert shako of the 4th or Queens Light Dragoons.
    Like Steve, I would ask if this was your work. Thinking back to other work that you have done the brushwork here looks different.
    Not to worry, do a little more work on those eyes and it will make it a fine figure.
    All the very best,
    Keith
    [IMG][IMG][IMG]
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Pete,
    I've done this figure to, and the critism whas that the blue whas to light. Well, I'm sure that the blue on your figure is to light.
    If I should repaint it I would use a very dark blue (indigo) maybe mixed with sepia extra. Then I got a serious dark blue that can be highlight with white and shaded with black.
    But I never repaint a figure.......you never finish anything if you do that.
    As far as the eyes concern, i'm with the guys above me

Marc