1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 4th Don Cossack Lancer Summer of 1914

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Imperial Russian 4th Don Cossack Regiment in the summer uniform ca. 1914. WIP about 50% complete. Working in my typical 1/16th scale and using a Verlinden horse stripped of all the Napoleonic saddle, blanket, etc. All replaced with Russian cavalry field equipment. The head and weapon are from kits. Boots were originally from a kit but have been substantially re-worked. I'm using mostly Magic Sculpt and Kneadatite mixes.

From the photos I can see that I should emphasize the ears a bit on both sides. They are lying too flat to the head. I've already put on most of the lightweight summer uniform and am in the process of adding a double bandoleer. I'll post a photo of a Russian cavalryman wearing the double bandoleer. If anybody has additional reference photos of the bandoleer and/or of 4th Don Cossacks, would appreciate seeing them.

Lots more to do...

Hope you like it!

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

Martin Rohmann, crf, Martin64 and 8 others like this.
  2. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Looking really good Dan.
    You have converted the horse well, can safely say that you are in the pound seats I that area.
    In the First photos I was not sure about the riders head but the last photo looks good and as you say a little work on the ears will do the trick.
    Good luck with the light weight jacket. The exrta folds and creases look to be a bit of a nightmare.
    All in all this little group are really coming together, I like them.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  3. offo A Fixture

Hey Dan , check out feet.
    It must knee make higher . Hams got very long compared to lower thigh. On both sides. I hope you will help my sight and not offended you. Yours sincerely, Palo;)
    Gaudin likes this.
  4. zernina A Fixture

Russian-Federation
  5. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Dan,
    There are quite a few things that stand out and would benefit from correcting before moving on to details, anatomically. Feel free to PM me if you would like to make any changes.
    + Hat is definitely too big, even in comparison with reference
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Keith, Offo, Zernina and Gaudin - Many thanks for your comments and critique. I will make some changes and re-post.

All the best,
    Dan
    Wings5797 and offo like this.
  7. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Hi Dan,

Here is a pic of a WWII Cossack from an old Blandford book for your ref. It shows the very high Cossack seat on these ponies.

Rgds Vic

mac2.jpg
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Cheers Vic - Many thanks for the photo!

All the best,
    Dan
  9. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Great stuff Dan. He is looking very good. Look forward to follow your progress.
    Regards,
    John
  10. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks John! Much obliged!

All the best,
    Dan
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the critique earlier. I've corrected the error in the leg proportions, reduced the diameter of the hat brim, added a bed roll, a rolled-up overcoat and part of the spurs. Comments and other critique invited.

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      191.3 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      236.1 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      102.9 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      168.4 KB
      Views:
  12. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I'm working on the ammunition bandolier that you see in the attached photos. The two front views will allow me to finish that part, but I have no views from the back of the cavalryman wearing it. I need to see if there are sliding buckles to tighten the bandolier, clips, pegs, whatever. Does anyone have any photos of this particular bandolier and particularly back side views that they could post or share?

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

13. rafaelega Active Member

Spain
    nice one Dan!
  14. Huw63 A Fixture

This is very nice - will enjoy reading this one.

Cheers

Huw
  15. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Rafa and Huw!

All the best,
    Dan
  16. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Good work Dan.
    Taking shape with the very realistic bundles strapped on the rump.
    I like this fellow.
    Cheers
    Keith
  17. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Many thanks Keith!!

All the best,
    Dan
  18. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I think the sculpting on this horse and figure are complete. I'm going to have to kinda stare at it a bit to be certain. Comments and critique welcome!

A couple of issues of errant perspective from the photos. In the photos, the bottom part of the lance is bending down. I need to make the lance in two parts so that I can ship it. The lance is made of brass rod and putty and the pennant is lead foil. In a couple of photos the lance looks nearer to the camera lense and the viewer than it actually is.

The first photo is an illustration of the uniform colors for the 4th Don Cossack cavalry regiment so you can get some idea what the final piece will look like.

You'll notice that some of the equipment are castings of pieces I made. I want to thank Bob Stein for being very patient and helping me with those.

Hope you like it!

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

19. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    He is looking very good to me Dan.
    The complexity of all the kit and fighting tool have fitted together very well and hang naturally on the two figures.
    I like the progress you are making and can hardly wait to see the three together.
    Great work Dan,
    Keith
  20. Huw63 A Fixture

Very good looking figure. Really captures the swager of a cossack.

Cheers

Huw