1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

2nd US Dragoons 1814

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Nap, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi guys

Currently amongst many working on this from UEM .sculpted by Shane Terry and box art by Mike Cramer

My question is the shoulder wings what colour or material was the backing the lacework was on ....I have looked but can't find any definitive reference ...at the moment!

On my version I have moved the plume to the side ...found some references on this ...currently all basecoated ready ....except those shoulder wings !

Thanks for any help and references

Nap

image.jpeg
  2. mick3272 A Fixture

anstontyke and napoleonpeart like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Geoff Charman and anstontyke like this.
  4. mick3272 A Fixture

5. Chris Ribchester A Fixture

England
    Looks like a very good start , looking forward to seeing it finished.

Chris
    anstontyke likes this.
  6. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Come on Nap, this looks great. Like what your doing.
    anstontyke likes this.
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work so far.
    I don't like the hard shade line under the eye. But that is personal.

Marc
    anstontyke likes this.
  8. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Look'n great Nap ......keep up the good work....

Wayne
    anstontyke likes this.
  9. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I really like it Nap. The subtle blending, especially in the face is very well done.

Ken
    anstontyke likes this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Thanks for all the comments .....

The pcture is one of the actual box art by Mike .....

Me is now fully base coated with the eyes fully done .......going to start on the flesh soon ...probably won't go as dark on the eyes but need to remember the shadow of the peak !

Watch this space

Thanks for looking in

Nap
    anstontyke likes this.
  11. Jonthan mcmeekin Active Member

Cracking job on this one Kev!
    Nice natural flesh.
    Keep up the amazing work.
    Cheers from sunny Cumbria.
    Jonathan
  12. Jonthan mcmeekin Active Member

I should have read the other posts.. typical male eh! I guess women have something in what they say :)
    Cheers anyway.
    Jonathan
  13. Nap Moderator

England

Box Art by Mike Cramer !!!!!!!!

Hopefully mine will be okay !!!

I like the contrast of the blue and the silvered lace and helmet plate with the lighter blue of the plume ...

Pics to come soon

Nap
    anstontyke likes this.
  14. misfit151 A Fixture

That looks great Nap.....keep posting. ;). Mike
  15. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Nap,
    This is the uniform commentary to go with the plate that Mick provided.

The uniform of the two regiments of light dragoons, as prescribed in 1812, consisted of a braided "hussar jacket" with three rows of bullet buttons for full dress and a single-breasted coat for undress.

Braided pantaloons of white cassimere or buckskin were worn for parade, and ones of dark blue cloth for service.

All metal was "white". The hussar jackets had white braid on their cuffs and collars, dark blue braid on the chest and back. The braid on the undress coat apparently was dark blue.

Sergeants wore two white epaulets, corporals a single one of the same style on the right shoulder.

Belts were white leather.

Officers' braid and buttons were silver, in place of epaulets, they wore elaborate silver "wings". although regulations called for "straight" buttonholes, a portrait of Colonel Burn shows them more in the usual "herring-bone" form.

This painting also illustrates the distinctive pattern of silver braid on the collar and details of the wings.

The former agrees with careful diagrams prepared by the War Department to show the correct braiding of the hussar jacket.

The helmet was of a jacked black leather, bound and reinforced by steel strips with a white "horsetail".

On its eft side wa a 9 inch feather plume in the follows: adjutants white with blue tops, quartermasters green; paymaster, blue with red tops; all others, plue with white tops.

The helmet plate showed a charging dragoon.

I hope this helps.

This plate is #69 from the Company of Military Historians here in the US and was published in Military Uniforms of America, Years of Growth 1796-1851. It was published back in the 70's as a f4 volume set and is OOP to the best of my knowledge.

BTW. This figure looks great; really like the blue shading. I've always liked this one, but never picked one up.
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi c/sgt

That's great ..broke it down a bit so I can read it easier ! .....

The piece is a intersting one he has a full face in the cheeks ..currently working on painting the flesh

Pune us currently based as blue with white tip ...but might change it !

As for blue painting hopefully mine will be a little way like this box art by Mike Cramer !!

Thanks for looking in

Nap
    anstontyke likes this.
  17. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Here is the portrait of Colonel Burn again just in case I messed up and it did not transmit properly

[IMG]
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Here's a few iffy pics of where I am ob this

now progressed with the lacework on the front ( finished ) and base coated the detail lacework on the epaulettes and collar ...will be working a biit more contrast into the blue hopefully!!!

Thanks for looking in

Nap

Z 001.jpg
    Z 002.jpg
  19. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    looking great Nap; it's all really coming together!
    Phil
  20. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Phil

Cheers got the comment ...it's quite a plain yet distinctive piece with the contrast of the collar and shoulder detail against the blue .

The chest lace is a very dark blue ...in the Osprey book it is white but not going with only 1 reference but as you can see the buttons in the original box art make a focal point as well

Thanks for looking in

Nap
    anstontyke likes this.