1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 2nd Attempt - Maj. Gen. Sir Isaac Brock

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Aug 23, 2014.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Never one to admit defeat, and with the lessons of my last attempt still fresh, I decided to have another bash at Brock. I like this one far better. It's slightly smaller at around 1/6. Sculpey firm again. If you have an interest in Brock's history, including a short Canadian War Museum feature on his bullet-holed coatee, please have a look at this thread: http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/next-project-maj-gen-sir-isaac-brock-1812.66139/
    There will can find the water colour portrait I used as a primary source, being the only extant portrait done of Brock during his life.

Colin

P1010050small.jpg

P1010046.JPG P1010047.JPG P1010048.JPG
    P1010051.JPG P1010053.JPG P1010054.JPG
    pmfs, RFL, Rich Sculpts and 8 others like this.
  2. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Much better start, much better.
    One question... Do you sleep at night? You just binned the first one and your damn near finished the the re-do.

The mouth, chin/jaw line and the forehead slope are excellent. The nose might be a touch too straight on profile... maybe just a hint more of a knot on the ridgeline. Not too much though.

Colin
    napoleonpeart, Martin64 and crf like this.
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I'm already painting the head LOL

Colin
  4. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Pleased you are reworking The Major Colin.
    I must say it's looking mighty fine but remember no MSM on Netflicks when you are on the job.
    Good work Mate I know it will work for you.
    Cheers
    Keith
    crf likes this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Like it Colin....this has already been improved and no torso yet!

Watching with interest

Nap
    crf likes this.
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Second attempt also a failure. His profile is great but frontally and 3/4 he just doesn't work. And yes I was watching Netflix again :)

Colin
  7. Nap Moderator

England

Oh no ....at least you get to watch Netflix again ...chin up and keep smiling

Nap
    crf likes this.
  8. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Colin,

This is a much better attempt. But the eyes are still far too small and symmetrical.....

A good anatomy book will show you how these areas should actually look. When i first started sculpting, an anatomy book was always at hand when I sculpted and I consulted it frequently. For me, that was the only way to learn what I needed to know to do a good job.

I hope this helps!

Mike
    crf likes this.
  9. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Mike. My issue is more the brow and forehead from the 3/4 view - awful. The forehead is too sloped and the corners of the brows are too pronounced.The eyes would be correctable but I agree too small....but that is because the space to corner to outer edge of face is too wide (due to round head). I think the space between the eyes is right. Appreciate the feedback.

Colin
  10. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    Colin,

Given that your only historical resource was the 2-D side view portrait , my hat's off to you for having the cahones (and the talent!) to even try to spin it into a full 3-D head without any other contemporary sources being available - I'm in awe just for that!

Besides, how do we know that Brock didn't look something like what you've managed here ? There's only one known contemporary portrait of the man and only a silhouette at that.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do with this one - we all appreciate watching your work!

Cheers,

Brian
    ChaosCossack, crf and Wings5797 like this.
  11. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Brian. You are correct about the profile being the only extant portrait....and it looks a bit stylized to boot. My 2nd effort is a reasonable approximation of the profile in this portrait. But I totally screwed up the brow and forehead making the model non-human looking when viewed from the frontal. So it will be a 3rd attempt. I am totally committed to getting a decent portrait. I make take a break before the third attempt though.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Colin
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Third time lucky Colin?
    Wings5797 and crf like this.
  13. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Let's hope Tony. Need a breather though. Cheers

Colin
    Wings5797 likes this.
  14. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I don't think it looks as bad as you see it. Eye of the beholder and all that.

Maybe take a run at something else and revisit this guy again later... a change is as good as a rest.

Colin
    Wings5797 and crf like this.