1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 28mm Maison Du Roi , Musketeers of the guard

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by MarquisMini, Mar 6, 2017.

1. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Hello folks,
    A little distraccion from the current project.
    I have received the first 3 figures of mounted Musketeers from Front Rank Figurines .
    I am planning to have 9 mounted musketeers , 9 mounted gendarmes ( probably the gendarmes ecossais) , i will have a small batch of the gardes Francaises which their traditional duties were garding the outside of the Palace , maybe 2 or 3 Swiss guard officers , a iron fenced wall with an iron door and perhaps a little chateau building.
    As for now, i am just working on 1 musketeer, and kind of try it out.
    Cheers 9dc961a0529e9634c76a859b4edb9823.png 9dc961a0529e9634c76a859b4edb9823.png 20170306_091213.jpg 20170306_121449.jpg 20170306_091206.jpg
  2. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Another project on the Go, no stopping you is there. Following this one as well.
    anstontyke, Wings5797, Oda and 3 others like this.
  3. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You sir....are a complete Lunatic.

and I love what you do
    Doubtless this will all end as a replica of Versailles.

Paul.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Daniel,

"A little distraction" .....do have more !

Great start ...it's going to be a great one ...or two...or three!

Following with interest

Nap
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    :ROFLMAO: Completely obsessed, love it. (y)
  6. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Thanks my friend, glad to have you on board.
    Viking Bob and anstontyke like this.
  7. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina

Hahha, i will try my best
    Cheers
    anstontyke and peedee like this.
  8. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Cheers mate!
  9. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Thanks mate, glad you like it !
  10. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    If you don't own it, you really need to get a copy of the incredibly valuable book: "La Maison du Roy" by Gabrielle Mendella. It is by far the best reference source on the subject that I have found. The photos of the modern uniform recreations on mannequins are stunning. You may find that your beliefs concerning certain color shades are way off (as did I). Also valuable is the Carnet de la Sabretache # 190 from Decembre 2011, also dealing with the Maison du Roy. The specialty issues by Le Briquet on the Timbaliers de France by Jean-Claude Colrat are also tremendous. Lastly, the older ancien regime (AR) series of plates by RIGO are excellent. There are others but for this period of French military uniformology, these are the best reference materials that I know of. Keep up the good work Monsieur le Marquis.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Daniel

Call me physic but I think your figures and the painting is popular !

Jaybo .......

Woukd love to get hold of those myself any pictures or links ?

Nap
    anstontyke, peedee and Oda like this.
  12. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hi Nap,
    I bought the first book from Ms. Gabrielle Mendella on eBay directly. I would contact her on eBay and see if she has any left ($45.00 and worth EVERY penny). The next two works are sold by their respective French societies that can be purchased online. Monsieur Colrat is also on Facebook and is quite the expert on French uniformology (and Jeanne d'Arc!). The RIGO plates are harder to come by but I have found them on eBay from time to time. I don't have the complete AR series but do have most of them. They are superbe. Other sources include the usual suspects: the late and great Messieurs Rousselot & Lelievpre, Rene Chartrand and the lesser known but outstanding Colonel M. Dugue MacCarthy who unfortunately passed away several years ago. His plates, dealing mostly with the French cavalry of the ancien regime are as good as any in my opinion. Fortunately, I have the complete set and many of them adorn my study.
    Bon chance.
    anstontyke, peedee and billyturnip like this.
  13. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Huw63, Viking Bob, anstontyke and 2 others like this.
  14. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Some of my references... f389853434e537420a91e61fdddc9167.jpg a8e81848f3f6b36cdb1754554b9dd1d4.jpg FB_IMG_1443060940330.jpg FB_IMG_1431806214075.jpg FB_IMG_1431800344070.jpg FB_IMG_1431800241777.jpg FB_IMG_1431800192886.jpg FB_IMG_1431800271241.jpg FB_IMG_1431800299652.jpg
    blaster, marco55, OldTaff and 10 others like this.
  15. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I have finished the "soubreveste", literally 'over the coat'.
    The Musketeers de la garde had two Companies, the 1st called the Musketeers gris, since they had grey horses, the second company was called the Musketeers Noir, since they had black horses.
    The Musketeers had a rather plain uniform, red coat with red troussers and red cuff edged in gold lace (1st co.) Or edged silver (2nd. Co.), but they had this superb dark blue laced silver Soubrevesté that compensated for that, and consequently they worn that garment all the time.

20170306_223103.jpg 20170306_223114.jpg 20170306_223124.jpg
  16. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent references and brushwork as usual. Tell me, do you ever take a break? Your output is simply amazing.
  17. Oda A Fixture

Out of breath.Seems like you are an extremely well conditioned athlete.Running a marathon and yet looking cool and refreshed as thoug taking an afternoon walk around the town.I am simply amazed.As for the outcome it is awesome but this is really redundant because by now you have established yourself as an extremely able artist.Will definitely follow this one as all other projects before.

Oda.
  18. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Amazing photos Daniel.

Paul
    Oda, MarquisMini and anstontyke like this.
  19. anstontyke A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    more stunning work, you are definitly a master at such a small scale.

tony
    Oda, MarquisMini and peedee like this.
  20. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    I must have blinked when you pulled this lot out of the hat.
    Amazing work on this cavalryman. The heraldry on the chest is real class for this scale.........How many did you say there will be? Will this be your first Cheval noir
    Your reference photographs are among the best reference I have seen in print. Well done for finding them.
    A very nice aside Mate, bravo.
    Keith