1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

28mm Dwarf from a Gamer

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by Theatralic, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Theatralic New Member

Well I only signed up yesterday but after the warm welcome (thank you Guys) I decided thtat is certainly the right Place to get better. I had some reservations at first because I wasn`t sure if someone whose aim is to paint Armies for Gaming rather than single Display Models was right here but you Guys made me feel like I belonged here.

I am primarily a Tabletopgamer but want to develop my Style further without spending Weeks on a single Model as I want to use them for my Games.

I came to the conclusion that I would post my latest Guy in here, braze for the Impact, take all the Feedback and start a new Miniature whith those Hints in Mind, probably back in the Beginners section or WIP while some People could watch a bit over my shoulder and point out where I am going "wrong".

I usually block in all Base Colors, give them a wash with the "fitting" Citadel Wash and then start to Build up Layers of thin Highlights, at the end I usually try too smoothen the Transition between Layers with a Mix of a Base- or Middletone + Lamian Medium. I prime a solid Chaos Black and after that some Lighting with Skull White both from the Can.

Attached Files:

2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Not much to critique there. Great finish. My only comment is that I would have used a darker (sepia?) wash on the hair and would have painted the upper recess on his pipe.

Colin
  3. Helm A Fixture

England
    I agree with Colin about a drop of black in the pipe bowl but the rest looks fine to me.
    Steve
  4. njwarhead Member

Take a look at this video. This may help you get a better idea of where you may want to go with your work. It is far from Display but what I would say if high end gaming. It seem from what you said in your post is where you want to be. I also play the games and what I see is good for the table. I hope you find this video a help.

-Brian
  5. Theatralic New Member

Thank you all for getting back to me, appreciate that a lot. I hope you didn`t spare me, I can take it ;).

About the Pipe, spot on , D`oh to be honest I don`t know how I missed that :D.

@Brian that Vid looks Ace and I agree "High End Gaming" is probably the right Term. Thanks a lot!!! Allways liked Ben Komets work.

I have watched a lot of Skin Tutorials since I signed up because I love what you Guys do with bigger Miniatures and Busts, especially how realistic it looks but I am a bit baffled how to transfer it to smaller scale.

All this Shadows and Lights and Glazes, especially on a tinytiny Dwarven Face I am not sure if I can pull it off or if I should just be happy with what I have o_O. Same with Cloth and Leather, I am not sure what makes sense on a small Miniature and what I shouldn`t even try.

I do sometimes feel like my Miniatures lack a bit "depth" .

Another Thing I noticed now that i watch that Video. I use a similar way of Priming to simulate that Zenital Lighting Thing.
    But I think I am doing my Basecoats to dark or to thick since I don`t have that nice Light/Shadow effect. I must be doing something wrong there.

I am amazed about the consistency of the Colors he is using, they do look a bit Thicker then I am used to, when I try to paint with thicker Paints its starts to look really ugly. But maybe its only my eyes betraying me here.
  6. Helm A Fixture

England
    I dont think shading faces and things like that will matter as much in 28mm as its that much smaller but leather and metal effects etc will because its just washes the surface area doesnt matter
    Steve