1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 24th Busts

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Richie, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    On the back of my last bust I have decided to get these two ready. The Rorke's Drift bust sculpted by Carl Reid in 1/9 scale and the second is 250mm in scale sculpted by Richard Bailey.
    Both busts are lovely pieces and I have set these off on two of chippy's driftwood bases from the Base2B.
    Early days yet, they have been cleaned, primed, mounted and a base undercoat of acrylics put on the flesh parts. I plan to paint the faces in oils again as I enjoyed the first effort.
    If I can emulate Brian's wonderful box art on the Rorke's Drift bust in anyway I would be over the moon.
    I know many of you paint bust and buy brass rods to mount them, here is a cheap alternative for the mounting rods. If you buy a set of metal wind chimes from you local pound shop the ones with the aluminium rods I have used these.
    cheers
    Richie
    CIMG6182.JPG CIMG6184.JPG CIMG6186.JPG CIMG6189.JPG CIMG6190.JPG CIMG6192.JPG

Attached Files:

DEL, Grod, Mike S. and 10 others like this.
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Looking forward to seeing these progress Richie. You're way ahead of me now with the busts in oils projects. I've got some catching up to do when I get home.
    Good tip with the wind chimes I was going to buy some brass rod when I got home for my Cuirassier, I just have to wait until next door are out and I'll pop over the fence with my hacksaw.

Roger.
    Wings5797, Rich Sculpts and kagemusha like this.
  3. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great stuff Richie. Very nice pieces, and glad to hear your still trying oils mate. Stick with them, it's worth it.

lol, glad you don't live next door to me Roger

Ron
    billyturnip likes this.
  4. Helm A Fixture

England
    I've got a house full of the &%*!ing things :arghh: That's wind chimes not 24th Foot busts, all hacksaws welcome (Just don't tell SWMBO they belong to her :shifty: ) Looking forward to see these done up Richie
    Steve
    kagemusha likes this.
  5. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice figures indeed! ... they would make a cracking set of 'Book-Ends',... Very nice start!

Regards,

Mark
  6. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Roger, Ron, Steve & Mark,
    Far too hot at the minute to paint, I knew you would like the post idea Roger being a good Yorkshire lad.
    cheers
    Richie
    Monkey Cheers.jpg
    billyturnip likes this.
  7. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Two great busts to work on mate, will be following .

Steve
  8. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Richie,
    Really nice pieces here Mate. It will be good following your progress.
    .......maybe wait for it to cool down a little?
    All the very best,
    Keith
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Nice busts.
    For my taste are the bases to big. They are great, but in my humble opinion not for bust's, unless you stick a brass rod into the base and figure, so that the figure is separate from the base.

Marc
  10. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    PS.... Great bases from Chippy, they really suit these two figures.
    Keith
    Don likes this.
  11. Tarracus A Fixture

The bust on the right looks like he prefers not to look at your topless session..:hilarious:
    Following your progress on them
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  12. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Looking really good Richie. Given that you're following a theme with your work it would be great to see some photos of the whole display.
    Cheers
    Derek
  13. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    :LOL::facepalm::stop:
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I like the bases. They tie the busts together even though they differ in scale. Looking forward to seeing the final painted versions.

Colin
  15. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richie, ill look forward to seeing these painted up, thanks for those kind comments, I remember very well when I painted it, it was the first bust I attempted with weathering and its carried on ever since, its a great bust and you'll have some fun painting it I'm sure as you will with the other one as well, always enjoy your subjects :happy:
  16. Don Well-Known Member

Really like the chap wiping his brow but cant find any of the reported box art. Would be very interested to se them painted up for the box art.
    Two really nice busts.

Don
  17. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Marc,
    They are away from the bases and on rods, it might be just the angle of the photo's, the smaller base is only 60mm high at the front and 50mm wide. The larger is 70mm high and 60mm wide. I suppose it comes down to personal preference in the end with bases.
    CIMG6193.JPG

Steve, Keith, Marc, Tarracus (and yes you were right), Del, Colin, Colin, Brian and Don
    Thank you all for looking and the support, when I get on the brushes and make some significant progress I will post again.

Hi Don,
    Here is Brian's wonderful box art painting as he stated previously it was his first with weathering and what a job. He has produced some fantastically realistic battle worn soldiers since then and a true inspiration.
    cheers
    Richie
    24th Foot Bust.JPG
  18. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Sooo......get painting then.....come on mate.....really looking forward to seeing how you tackle all that red.
    Seriously Richie, you have done a cracking job so far.

Ron
  19. Don Well-Known Member

Richie he has kept that one a secret, Know Brian quite well now, but never heard of this one. I will need to see it as soon as we can meet.
    He does some wonderful stuff does our Brian, and I do hope his painting helped you sell lots of the bust.

Don
  20. Carl Edward Sambrook Active Member

Hi Richie where did you manage to get hold of the figures ? could you give me a start point :happy: