1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

2 WWI busts - Owen & Sassoon

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Aug 17, 2014.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Here are my completed 2 busts of British war poets Wilfred Owen (Manchester Regiment) and Siegfried Sassoon (Royal Welch Fusiliers) c. 1917. My own little WWI centenary project. I have to admit I lost traction in this project and, after doing some colourful Napoleonics, these were a bit boring to paint. Perhaps it shows.

I posted the completed Sassoon in the WIP thread so I won't concentrate on him this time.

Modelled in sculpey firm and painted in oils.

Colin

P1010032sml.jpg

P1010034sml.jpg

P1010011.JPG P1010010.JPG P1010009.JPG
    P1010008.JPG P1010012.JPG P1010013.JPG
  2. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    Colin, these are stunning, whether you "lost traction" on them or no, and are a very fitting tribute to the centenary. Their poetry is an apt reminder of the ugliness of not just that particular conflict but of all war, a thought that I constantly must remind myself of as I enthusiastically indulge in painting largely military-themed figures and vignettes.

Though they may not be as colourful as a Napoleonic, they are top drawer depictions of men in khaki. Well done sir!

Cheers,

Brian
    ChaosCossack, Mike - The Kiwi and crf like this.
  3. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    They look excellent, together!
    Excellent work and an awesome WWI project! Canadian talent, poetry and bravery in one display! Awesome!
    Cheers mate,
    Zeno :)
    crf likes this.
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks gents. Nice to hear you like them. After a while they just looked bland to me. I will be doing Col. John McCrae once I overcome my aversion to khaki. :)

Colin
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very good work on these busts.

Marc
    crf likes this.
  6. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    The fact you tackled this tribute to these two young men & taught many of us along the way is most important Colin.

I've enjoyed the story behind each of them.
    They both deserve a place in your neat portfolio of personal works.

Thanks so much for taking time to share here with us.

Stay safe
    Mike
    Chris Mortimer and crf like this.
  7. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Colin! .. Both of these are absolutely lovely! and very well rendered, very clean painting.(y) .. As a slightly bizarre thought, ( Which is me all over), I would transform both of these into 'Bookends'. which is what I always think when something is worthy.;)

High Regards,

Mark
    crf likes this.
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I love the bookends idea but I get they would then need dusting. Thanks gents.

Colin
  9. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Colin! ... I have a 'Pink' feather duster its really great. :whistle::LOL:

Mark
    crf likes this.
  10. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Right up there with your best works Colin.
    Very well done.
    Keith
    crf likes this.
  11. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Brilliant stuff. Captures both characters.
    crf likes this.
  12. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    AWESOME!!!
    Well done, from putty to paint as usual.

I did warn you about going from the Napoleonic peacocks to the khaki drab ;)

I like the bookend idea... flanking a shelf of leatherbound poetry volumes. It will leave room in your crowded display case and give you a classy backdrop when you relax in your smoking jacket drinking a sniffter of brandy and submerging yourself in a book of verse. Not sure about the pink featherduster though, Mark... I don't want to know why you have that :stop:

Great job Colin

The Other Colin
    Wings5797 and crf like this.
  13. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Colin...you describe my lifestyle perfectly. Here I sit in my cravat with my 15 year old malt with my book of Maugham short stories pondering life....actually it's 4:00 on Sunday and I am still in PJs eating stale nachos. Oh well, it's the thought that counts. Thanks for the nice words.

BTW - don't pink feather dusters generally go with French Maid outfits? Ugh!

Colin
    Wings5797 and ChaosCossack like this.
  14. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Top sculpt, paint job and subject.
    Gordon
    crf likes this.
  15. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    We are on parallel life paths... I too was in my PJ's all afternoon but I usually eat my nachos with cheese around 10pm. This afternoon it was a big hunk of kolbassa, swiss cheese and crackers. ;)

Between snacks I try to take a break and hit the workbench to slap some paint around.

Colin... The one getting fatter on a daily basis
    Wings5797 likes this.
  16. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    One can't help but admire your research, sculpting, and painting skills used in giving tribute to, and keeping the memory alive, of forgotten heroes.

Joe
    crf, napoleonpeart and ChaosCossack like this.
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Colin,

Nice finish , Kharki by way of the colour is certainly difficult to bring any glamour as such to and you have handled both of these well ...a great SBS and final finish and a wonderful tribute to the war poets .

Don't bother with bookends though ...send them to me !!

Thanks for the usual excellent high standard of work

Nap
    crf likes this.
  18. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Excellent finish Colin. (y)

Roger.
    crf likes this.
  19. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Many thanks for teaching us both some history and as always it was a joy to watch the projects develop. Very nice work.
    crf likes this.
  20. swralph A Fixture

Great sculpting and painting as always Colin.:D
    crf likes this.