1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1st Carolina Volunteers 1863

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John Belcher, Mar 31, 2005.

1. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi guys,This figure of a soldier of the 1st carolina was sculpted from magic sculpt and duro epoxy putties.The figure is all original with the exception of the rifle which is a metal models part.I have painted the figure in acrylics.Regards John :)
    [IMG]
  2. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
  3. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Nicely Painted and sculpted, very well done John.

I am really getting into the american civil war side of our hobby, there is so much out there already, and yet people still come out with new figures personally and commercially. You just cant get enough of this subject I think.... :)

Dave
  4. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    John...this looks like another great figure. I like the face especially...although the whole figure is so well done...it's great to see what you've been sculpting.

Dave...I agree on the ACW...it's such a rich subject...with a lot of modellers showing great passion for it...we are very lucky to see these soldiers brought to life in miniature.

Great work.

Roy.
  5. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    John,

Wonderfully expressive face and all around a great job on the figure. You must be proud.
  6. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    Nice work there, John. The red is particularly subtle and in scale; it's so easy to overdue it on a small figure.
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, Very nice. It's great to see a Civil War uniform that is just a little different from what we're used to seeing. The first time I saw this uniform was in the movie "Glory".~Gary
  8. y_wong New Member

Dear John,

Very well sculpted and painted. The ground work is equally good.

regards :)
  9. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    John , great stuff. I particularly like the face. I am too at the moment sculpting an ACW figure.It's a zouave and will post an sbs as soon as I get the pics ready

Stephen Mallia
  10. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello John,

I don't know how experienced a sculptor you are, but everything about your figure is excellent: anatomy, balance, face and hands.

Nice 'african' skin tones as well. Not as obvious as it may seem!

Congrats (y) and welcome to the Planet.

Hoping to see more of your works,

Quang :)
  11. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    very well done figure. you say that it is painted in acrylics, I too paint in acrylics, so I have one question for you, are the face and hands in acrylics too?
  12. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi guys thanks to all for the compliments on my figure.Really enjoyed making this one,especially the challenge of the skin tones.I have always loved this uniform,such great contrasts in colour and shade.I have been scultping my own figures for about ten years now and have been painting figures since I was about twelve years of age.I was originally inspired by my father who had also painted figures.
    Yes Captnenglish the skin tones are acrylic.I have only recently started painting my flesh tones in acrylic.In the past I mainly have used oils and enamels.Stephen look forward to see your zouave figure.
    Kind regards John :)
  13. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Great work, John!

Please share w/ us your acrylic skin tone mix.
  14. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, you eat me to my next question
  15. neill Active Member

United-States
    Nice work John!

Particularly like the subtle, but realistic pose of the body. Many people do not realize how hard it is to capture the human form at rest, but you pull it off very well.

IF you have them, or on the next project, give us a step by step from Armature up. It is always helpful to see how others work and to learn from their methods.

Thanks for sharing,

Neill
  16. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, Excellent job on your 1ST SC Volunteer! I too like the pose, simple yet effective pose. And I really like the groundwork. What did you use for the tree stump? And did you paint the red trousers in oils or arcylics? If oils, could you please elaborate on how you pulled it off as I am always eager to learn how to paint red. Skin tones are excellent as well! Look forward to seeing more of your work. I am a big Civil War buff as well!

Happy Trails, Terry Martin
  17. Jacek Spychalski Member

Poland
  18. Evan August New Member

Great figure! The Civil War is a great subject, one of my favorites. Unfortunately I have never done a Civil War figure, but plan to soon. I've been meaning to take up sculpting, some day I plan to do a figure of my personal hero Joshua Chamberlain, based on Kunstler's Hero of Little Round Top.
  19. kastigamatt Active Member

Italy
    Great work John! Any pics of the figure on progress?
    Ciao
  20. nagashino New Member

John, this is a blinder!

ACW is one of my personal favorites, and I especially like the afro skin tone on this guy, which I have always found a challenge in oils, let alone acrylics. Also your ability to pose a figure is exceptional.

Kind regards

Phil