1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 1st Battalion Gordon Highlanders, Stormtroopers, 1/9th scale bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Nov 27, 2014.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

I recently acquired this excellent bust sculpted by Carl Reid and released by Stormtroopers. This bust has been around for a while now and I've seen a number of excellent examples here on pF and thought it was time to have a go at it myself.

As you can see from these first pics, the face is still a work in progress and I haven't as yet started applying any oils.

The uniform is still being base coated and I haven't started on the webbing yet. The Glengarry is looking good and I'll be spending more time on this tonight.

It's still very early but I'm liking the direction its taking.

As always I welcome any comments or criticisms. IMG_2185.JPG IMG_2186.JPG IMG_2187.JPG
    Joe55, Mike S., Captain Lol and 10 others like this.
  2. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Great work tony,if you don't mind me saying I think you're painting has gone up to another level mate with you're recent pieces,your flesh tones look really great
    tonydawe likes this.
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Brian, I don't mind you saying that at all mate. Indeed, its a tremendous compliment from someone whose own work I'm greatly inspired by and greatly admire.

I think the change has come from learning how to blend and use different brands of acrylics (Josonjas and Vallejo mainly) with artists oils and pastel chalks to get the right mix of blending and transitions in flesh tones while also creating realistic textures and strong contrasts, without going too far to the extreme )Coal Miner's faces etc). I've developed my own technique to the point now where I feel comfortable taking a few chances and experimenting with new ideas to try and add extra levels of detail and realism.
  4. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks mate, It's very nice to hear when someone appreciates your work and I too have developed a style all of my own which I'm very pleased with now,although it took me nearly 20years to do this :),I don't think I'll ever change from oils as I love them and they have so many qualities which I like in a medium and most importantly I feel very comfortable and confident when I'm painting with them.
    I think your work has come on tremendously,I can see a real difference and it's paying off for you now,I wish I could paint subjects as quick as you do :),I'm so slow with fitting in work and hobbies,it takes me ages to do 1 piece.
    Good to chat mate,look forward to seeing more of this one

Brian
    Scotty, NickM, tonydawe and 1 other person like this.
  5. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    This is a great sculpt Tony and I am sure that you will find it a real pleasure to work on.
    I added legs to this one a while ago and, with lots of research and help with finer details from guys on The Great War Forum, this is my all time favorite.
    A great kick off mate and looking forward to watching this one develop.
    All the very best,
    Keith
    Scotty and tonydawe like this.
  6. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Looking great, Tony. (y) I'm painting a Gordon Highlander at the moment too, although 54mm and with legs.
    Brian's right about your painting mate, I've noticed the same with your flesh tones lately.
    tonydawe likes this.
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Keith, I recall seeing your full figure of this bust and was blown away by it. I'm not brave enough to try that mate. Thanks mate.

Hi Nick, you actually inspired me to take a few more risks with my skin tones as I recall you asking me once over a coffee why my faces were so pale. I took a look at some of them and had to agree. I now include a cobalt blue & scarlet red colour in my flesh mix, and especially in the shading, to reflect a ruddy purple tint to the flesh which is far more realistic for hands and necks.
    Wings5797, Scotty and NickM like this.
  8. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    nice start I like the skin tones going to look great when finished.

ian
    tonydawe likes this.
  9. Adrian Cowdry Well-Known Member

What is this? The mutual appreciation society? And rightly so....it is a great pleasure to see talent on show...one of the reason's I keep an eye on here. That Highlander is superb - the gradual reds on the cap really are gorgeous.
    tonydawe and Scotty like this.
  10. Tarracus A Fixture

Great start. Face has already a lot of character(y)
    tonydawe likes this.
  11. Macca G A Fixture

Australia
    Great work Tony. I did a highlander bust and couldn't resist making him a Ranga either
    tonydawe likes this.
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Ian, I'm in the process of adding some subtle oil effects to the skin to add some extra colour tones and depth to the face and hands.

Hi Adrian, thanks for your comments mate. Still got plenty of work to do on the Glengarry but pleased with my progress so far.

Hi Gerard, the character in the face is due to Carl Reid's excellent sculpting. I appreciate your comments.

Hi Graham. Yes another red headed Scotsman. I'll add a few grey hairs later to ensure he looks suitably aged.
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks to a long painting session on Saturday night I've made some progress with this bust.

The service ribbons show the Military Medal and the British South Africa Company Medal. Not visible under the webbing strap is the Africa General Service Medal.

The next steps involve attaching the rifle and sling and adding the pipe to the mouth. Still need to shade and weather the webbing straps and ammo pouches.

Trying to create a burl wood pipe look will be an interesting challenge.
    IMG_2197.JPG IMG_2198.JPG IMG_2199.JPG IMG_2200.JPG
    billyturnip, Wings5797, Joe55 and 8 others like this.
  14. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Bugger me you paint quickly! Brilliant work mate - love his face and the smooth shading/highlights on his battle dress (y)
    tonydawe likes this.
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Nick. I started work on the rifle and the sling, and will finish off the sergeant chevrons over the next day or two. Then I'll move on to finishing the webbing pouches and straps. Thanks for your comments mate. I hope you, me and Ben can catch up before Christmas for a coffee?
    NickM likes this.
  16. Adrian Cowdry Well-Known Member

The Glengarry is looking superb and great flesh tones.
    tonydawe likes this.
  17. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Inspirational, great piece.
    tonydawe likes this.
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks guys. More pics to come tomorrow hopefully.
    Mark S likes this.
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    As promised, here are the latest pics. Just a few minor tweaks and touches to go now before he's finished.
    IMG_2201.JPG IMG_2202.JPG IMG_2203.JPG IMG_2204.JPG IMG_2205.JPG IMG_2206.JPG IMG_2207.JPG

Attached Files:

20. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Nothing but praise from me on this beautiful piece of work!

This trooper looks the real character and your painting techniques truly brought out the best in a fine sculpt!

Joe
    tonydawe likes this.