1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 1st Battalion Gordon Highlanders Sergeant Conversion

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Wings5797, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Wings5797 A Fixture

France

Hello Chaps and Chapess’

I hope that you are all fully recovered after the seasonal festivities?

I just wanted to update you on my yearlong (more if I am honest and include research time) still unfinished project of adding legs to Carl Reid’s Sergeant 1st Battalion Gordon Highlanders.The figure represents a regular soldier just retreated from Mons and shaping up to take another pounding at La Cateau; 26th August 1914. During this battle most of the Regiment were wiped out and after this point in time the ranks of the Regiment filled with Territorial soldiers. The major result for we modellers was dramatic changes in uniform; spats, hose tops and brogues out, boots socks and putties in, glengarry still used but the tin hat was issued. Due to unforeseen demand the cutaway jacket gradually went by the way and the standard issue square cut jacket was used.
    I must confess one (that I know of) mistake on my figure is the red fibre ID tag. These were not issued until 1915 but I have my Grandfathers tag and I wanted to change from the twin aluminium dog tags (which are correct for 1914) in his memory.
    Other small additions that may be of interest;The medals that this seasoned old sweat is wearing are a fairly typical group to such a soldier who had served continually with the 1st Battalion Gordon Highlanders, would be:
    IGS 1895 with clasps: Punjab Frontier 1897-98 and Tirah 1897-98 QSA : Cape Colony, Paardeberg, Driefontein, Johannesburg and Belfast KSA : South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902 LS&GC, EdV11 or GV issue. Delhi Durbar 1911.
    Of course some are not visible under the ’08 pattern webbing.
    The Bagpipes and ammunition box are added as another whim I had. Two things you will notice are; the tartan sash supporting the drones on the pipes does not have the tartan painted on it….this is the third time I have tried to get these to work up to 10am this morning. Good old milliput came through in the end. Also there are no markings on the ammo box. All my efforts to find labels and brands fell woefully short.
    Most of my research and fun to make was the packet of Players Navy Cut Cigarettes.
    So to wind up, still to do are the hundreds of small chevrons on the sergeant’s stripes, highlights on some buttons and studs, and a good matt varnish to remove the sheen of the oil paint.

Hope you like this conversion. Cheers, Keith
    IMG_5828.JPG IMG_5834.JPG
    Dan Morton, crf, Mike Stevens and 7 others like this.
  2. Helm A Fixture

England
    Looks well Keith some real nice line work there mate (y)

Steve
    Wings5797 likes this.
  3. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks good Keith but what is that animal sitting on the box :( I do know it makes one helluva bloody noise

Ron
    crf and Wings5797 like this.
  4. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice all round work indeed Keith, neet work on the pattern on the sox, I cant paint straight lines like that.
    Cheers
    Tommi
    Wings5797 likes this.
  5. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Many thanks for your kind comments Guys, I am very grateful that you have taken the time to look and comment. I am not sure why but I struggled to download some close up shots last night but I'll try again later.

Steve and Tommi Straight lines with oils are not so difficult, just paint it as best you can and then while still wet 'cut it in' to the width you want with a fine brush moistened with distilled turpentine. BTW, I can't paint medieval lions like you two.

Ron, what can I say and you an Italian Jock. This one does not make too much noise as its only 1/10 the size of the monsters you get up there. However, it did cause me to make some noise when I was turning the drones in wood with my scalpel and Black & Decker between my knees.

Cheers,
    Keith
    Scotty likes this.
  6. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Brilliant work. As said I cant even begin to think how to paint a figure this size in oils. excellent.
    Wings5797 likes this.
  7. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Grant,
    From you that is praise indeed, many thanks.

The only problem with painting a large figure is limited amount of manoeuvrability and balance to paint the noooks and crannies. Shading and highlighting is slightly easier (IMHO) as you do not need so much contrast as with a 54-90mm piece….but I would say that. I am sure that you could eat a 200mm piece for breakfast.
    Apart from five other pieces in various stages of incompleteness, the piece I have on the drawing board will be even bigger at 1:3. If it works out and Milliput can supply me with a quarter ton of their best, it will be a state trumpeter of the Household Cavalry at the 1911 Delhi Durbar. My projected time scale is two years give or take five years.

Thanks again Mate.
    Cheers,
    Keith
    Scotty and crf like this.
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Lovely piece of work Keith.
    Carl.(y)
    Wings5797 likes this.
  9. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Carl,
    I'm pleased you like it..........it was a long time coming.
    Thank you for taking the time to look in and comment.
    Cheers Mate,
    Keith
  10. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Nicely done sir.
    Wings5797 likes this.
  11. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Many thanks for looking in and taking time to comment Mike. Such in put makes 12 months + work worth while.

Cheers,
    Keith
  12. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    12 Months! That insane sir! My attention Span is way too short for that kind work/fun,
    Wings5797 likes this.
  13. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    I agree Mike, totally insane. It was not without is moments but everything below the waist being made from scratch; I suppose I should expect some alligators along the way.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    That is some really nice work you have done.
    My compliments.

marc
    Wings5797 likes this.
  15. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Many thanks Marc.
    Its nice of you to make such a supportive comment.
    Cheers,
    Keith.
  16. pte1643 Active Member

That's a stunning piece.

Like his QSA ribbon, nice touch.

He needs to be careful though, or he'll be on a charge with them buttons undone like that. ;)
    Wings5797 likes this.
  17. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Thank you for looking and commenting pte.
    There is quite a collection of medals there but they are hidden from view, camara angle and webbing.
    I agree, he should be on a fizzer, I spend all that time painting them the least he can do is button them up:D
    Cheers,
    Keith
  18. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Folks,
    Here are a few detailed shots that I finally managed to upload.
    Hope that you like them.
    Cheers,
    Keith

IMG_5830a.jpg IMG_5831a.jpg IMG_5843a.jpg IMG_5851a.jpg IMG_5847a.jpg
    Scotty likes this.
  19. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Great job and brave to upgrade the bust, hopefully Carl will help us more mortal modellers!
    Wings5797 likes this.
  20. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    That's a major project finished in fine fashion. The extension is seamless in style - no easy thing (IMO rather like one author finsihing another dead author's paartially completed work - yes Carl I know you are still with us thankfully). The stance is also excellent and again seamless. I would love to have that in my house....would make a great door stop :cool:

And as Ron would say "beautiful laaaadeeeee" (from hell).

Colin
    Wings5797 and Helm like this.