1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

13 pounder field gun schematics

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by Dan Morton, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Recently I was looking for schematic or plan view drawings of the British 13 pound field gun, used in 1914 and early 15 until replaced by the 18 pound field gun. Len Trawin's book Early British Quick Firing Artillery was recommended and I've just received a used copy. It's an excellent reference and I highly recommend it if you are interested in any of the British artillery. It has drawings and fact sections on the 15 pounder Mk I and Mk IV, 13 pdr, 18 pdr Mk I, 5 inch howitzer, & 4.5 inch howitzer Mk I plus artillery horse harness, wagons, limbers, stores, etc.

ISBN 1-85486-154-9, published by Nexus Special Interests in 1997.

Examples attached.

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

gordy and captnenglish like this.
  2. btavis Active Member

United-States
    What are your plans for these plans?
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for asking Bob!

The Great War artist Matania, painted "L Battery, the Royal Horse Artillery, at Nery, 1914" twice for the illustrated papers, see attached. I think this would make a great vignette. The scene he painted would need to be substantially reduced in size to one gun, one limber, two dead horses and one dead officer and the three figures firing the gun.

Stretching my model-making skills to their utmost, I could not construct the gun or limber in 1/16th, but I could do the horses and figures. I've been kinda looking for someone who wanted to do the gun and limber.

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

4. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That would make for an impressive dio Dan, 1/16 is a big undertaking for this scene, have you thought about reducing the scale of it?

Steve
  5. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan, Scale Link offers a 54mm 13lb. I don't know the legal realities of using it as a basis for your model but it is there.--
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for your comments Steve and Steve. I think the dio has already been done in 54mm, hasn't it? Maybe I'm wrong. It seems to me someone showed me a model magazine with an L Battery vignette years ago.

The idea of making it in the larger scale intrigues me. But I'm not short of ideas. :)

All the best,
    Dan
  7. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    As an artillery enthuiast, you have my interest Dan.
  8. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jackpot Dan! Awesome :) I'm glad you've finally landed the schematics for this bad boy! (y)
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    And now, Gordy and Matthew - if I can just find someone who can build the gun and limber.

All the best,
    Dan
  10. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Aye, that's the hard part :/
  11. Daydreamone New Member

Almost perfect... I am looking to build one but in 1/19th scale.
    I have all of the diagrams as you have uploaded but I am hoping to cheat a little in the creation of the CAD model.
    I need to visit an actual field gun to photograph extensively to build a 3D reference model. Helps with the details also.
    Last time I went to IWM North, the 13lb gun was on loan, so not started my project yet.
    Once in CAD, scaling between 1/16th and 1/19th should be no issue.

Just got to get to see one....
    Andy
  12. Daydreamone New Member

yeah, just saw the date on this post hahaha!
    Never mind!
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    1/19th scale - Wha??

Well obviously it never got built, Andy. If I can help in any way, let me know.

All the best,
    Dan
  14. Daydreamone New Member

Strange scale I know.
    From model railways. 16mm = 1ft, gives you 1/19th
    My plan is to make a WW1 War department wagon which carries the 13lb gun and limber for my brother.
    I am more of a CAD geek than anything else so any help would be appreciated, if I have any questions, I will pop back here.
    I fortunately have goto people for the railway side too!
    What type materials would you have used if you had built your 16th model?
    Andy
  15. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Now I understand the scale!

I planned to build the artillerymen figures and the horse team, not the gun. The materials for those would have been a mix of plastic and resin kit materials, 2 part air-drying putties, and wire and rod of different diameters. Although I'm still intrigued by this project, I have to be honest and say that it loses some of its appeal if it must be done in 1/19th scale.

I can only guess about the gun. Initially a prototype model made using plastic block and sheet. You would need a lathe I'm pretty sure to make the cannon. When the prototype was completed, probably the maker would make some resin castings and do finish work using the castings.

All the best,
    Dan
  16. eas6644 Active Member

United-States
    Hi Dan,
    Question on a different gun. I bough the 1/35 Takom 210mm German Krupp howitzer. Does that have a limber? Is there one available? Pictures in case one had to be scratch built?
    thanks in advance.
    Ed
  17. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
  18. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
  19. martin tabony Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ed and Dan,
    the Krupp gun was broken down into sections for transporting. The gun and carriage were two seperate sections. I would be interested in either of these guns in yet another scale if you ever get them done in CAD let me know.
    Check out Lovett Artillery, these fellas collect and restore old guns. They have photos of guns in various stages,which came in very usefull when I was making a 77mm FK96. http://www.lovettartillery.com/
    p.s. I agree, the detail in Len Tarwin's book is superb
    Martin
  20. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States

Attached Files: