1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1288, the ambush

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by franceso sbarile, Apr 26, 2017.

1. franceso sbarile A Fixture

Tuscany, XIII century, the wars between the main cities were fought not only through great battles but also with incursions to damage the enemy territory. It is back from one of these incursions that a group of Sienese knights falls into an ambush by the neighbors of San Gimignano. At present I painted the shields of two Sienese Knights of the Accarigi families (yellow band and lilies) and Montanini (white rampant lion on a black background). The knights will be 2 pieces Pegaso 54mm. Hope you like it and if anyone has historical curiosities or about the pieces I am available.
    Cheers
    Francesco

IMG_20170425_175800.jpg
  2. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Those look great . I will be following your progress.
    anstontyke and franceso sbarile like this.
  3. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Great, I look forward to the knights and I will watch the whole project. Good luck and lot of fun at work :)

Cheers Borek
  4. Oda A Fixture

Francesco as I have stated before,I love your choice of subjects and the fact that you back them with considerable historical research.I can't wait to see this finished.

Oda.
  5. vincenzo Well-Known Member

Italy
    I'm waiting for it, Frank!!
  6. franceso sbarile A Fixture

Guelphs and Ghibellines
    The third and (I think) last shield will not be hijacked by a knight but will lie on the ground hit by an infantry ax. As the shield had to look damaged I did not use a metal shield but I rebuilt it in plastic. After having shaped it with a sharp cutter I created the breaks due to the shots and raised the shield lining.
    0.jpg

I painted the shield with a ghibelline sign, Wyvern, which is a kind of legendary dragon. To this symbol, which appeared on the Ghibelline flags, the guelfs opposed the symbol of an eagle holding the wyvern between the claws. This symbol is still present on the facade of "Palazzo Vecchio" in Florence.
    stemma_parte guelfa_DSC_8117.jpg stemmi_DSC_8432.jpg tagliaghibellina.gif
    Finally, after detailing it, the shield is almost ready to find its place in the vignette under construction.
    1.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg
    anstontyke, Osebor, Trex and 3 others like this.
  7. Oda A Fixture

Beautiful work Francesco!With every picture you post I get more eager to see the finished vignette.

Oda.
  8. franceso sbarile A Fixture

The knights ...
    11.jpg 12.jpg

and a first attempt to put them togheter (many details still to be completed)

13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg

Hope you will enjoy !
    Uruk-Hai, phil_h, anstontyke and 2 others like this.
  9. Oda A Fixture

Enjoy is an understatement.I totally love this!!I am really ,really waiting forward to seing this piece finished.

Oda.
  10. franceso sbarile A Fixture

So, after a certain time I went to the end of this project. The white and black banner in the background is the colour of Sienna end it is so called "balzana".
    Hope you enjoy it but also criticism are very welcome.
    Cheers
    Francesco
    IMG_20170528_162311.jpg IMG_20170528_162355.jpg IMG_20170528_162506.jpg IMG_20170528_162526.jpg IMG_20170528_162610.jpg IMG_20170528_162748.jpg
    oldtrousers, phil_h, Huw63 and 3 others like this.
  11. Oda A Fixture

Splendid work!

Oda.
    franceso sbarile likes this.
  12. Huw63 A Fixture

I think this is really great and the Heraldry is very realistically finished.

Cheers

Huw
  13. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Excellent vignette Francesco!
    I also found the background info and photo's you provided very interesting. (y)
  14. franceso sbarile A Fixture

Thank so much people :)
    Francesco
  15. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Wonderful job, and a fantastic vignette!
    Regards,
    Phil