1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 120mm 17th Lancer on the charge.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Richie, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    After selling my mounted 17th Lancer I always wanted to make another to replace him. I have a commission do for someone based on my previous 17th Lancer pose, so whilst I get on with that, I want to make mine in tandem.
    I am using the horse from Bonapartes mounted Austrian Hussar as I like the horse pose and I'll kit bash the rest of the Lancer with a bit of sculpting to do. I would to thank Keith (tecumsea) for letting this go as I purchased the Hussar kit off him.

There was some major clean up and fit issues with the horse, which so far has taken me around 5 hours. First the horse's main clashed against the collar and once this was addressed, there was a massive gap between the collar and horse's neck. Therefore I ground everything down, altered the neck position slightly and sculpted in the neck and a new collar around the neck. You can see from the photo's what it was like and how it now stands.

The girth strap with also need to be moved forward and I had some serious filling and sanding once the putty s dry around the horse's girth. Also lots of pin holes to address after I removed the numerous seam lines. I will address those later.

My question to all of you, who have better equine knowledge than me, does the rider position look OK?????? I plan to have him slightly out of the saddle, the left foot in the stirrup and the right foot out. Thanks in anticipation of your help.
    cheers
    Richie
    CIMG8613.JPG CIMG8614.JPG CIMG8616.JPG CIMG8617.JPG CIMG8618.JPG CIMG8619.JPG CIMG8620.JPG CIMG8621.JPG CIMG8622.JPG CIMG8623.JPG CIMG8624.JPG CIMG8625.JPG CIMG8626.JPG CIMG8627.JPG CIMG8628.JPG CIMG8629.JPG CIMG8630.JPG CIMG8631.JPG
  2. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    I think I would have him leaning back a bit more. Not only would it look less like he 's about to go head over heals, but it would add extra action to the pose, plus a vertical element to the composition opposite that of the horse and lance. It also ties in well with the horses head being pulled back and to the side as he leans back. Quick Photoshop to illustrate. I also adjusted the angle of the head to keep it close to horizontal and focused on his path/tareget.

[IMG]
    jakbwrhr, Wings5797, Eludia and 5 others like this.
  3. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richie,
    I would agree with Jason, having him leaning right back. Looks like it wil be a great piece, I look forward to its progress, good luck!

John
  4. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Jason,
    Many thanks for taking the time to do that(y), a picture says a thousand words. I will fix his position as per your suggestion, looks much better and more dynamic.
    cheers
    Richie

Hi John,
    Thanks mate for siding with Jason, I will go with it.
    cheers
    Richie

Love this site, everyone's prepared to chip in and help, I did not want to go any further in case I had it wrong, which I did, thanks again lads.
    KenBoyle, Nap, Wings5797 and 2 others like this.
  5. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking good Richie I agree leaning back makes it look much better. you are doing a great job mate.

Cheers

ian
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Really a beaut, Richie!! A suggestion on the bamboo lance, if I may ? I was able to find some close to 1/16th scale birchwood dowels on the internet. I'm not at home right now but will look up the supplier and post it as soon as possible. Bamboo doesn't seen to grow in regular, even increases in shaft length. I marked off irregular distances down the shaft using a pencil and drawing all the way around the shaft each time. Within each section, I then sanded off irregular bits, turning the dowel round and round and moving down the shaft. I then cut small additional bits out of the shaft in an irregular fashion. In very little time, I was able to finish and at least in my opinion, it looks like a bamboo pole and flexes nicely like wood. Again - just a suggestion. I can post a photo or two when I'm back home if you are interested.

All the best,
    Dan
  7. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Ritchie looks very dynamic, I just have one point to make, and this was pointed out to me when I did the sculpt for the WWI lancer, on the charge a lancer would be sat down as far as he could with his heels down to give him a solid base for when he struck the enemy, looking at how the horse is positioned I can see that he may be off the saddle if the horse has jumped so it may not be relevant, in which case ill shut up and just enjoy the rest of the build, great work :)
  8. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great stuff Richie - this is looking really action packed. My only thought was that perhaps his right foot/toe is pointing a out to the side a bit too much.
    With the lance in position it really made me think of Lt Melville (or was it Coghill) escaping Isandlwana with the colours - maybe that could be your next one!
    Cheers
    Mat
  9. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Very kool Richie... What a great horse!
    I love the dynamic pose of the rider and mount. I imagine you'll be tweaking the pose more than once before you finally lock it in. :nailbiting:

I will be following along closely

Colin
  10. Ray Welshman Active Member

Looking Good Richie

I will be following your progress

Cheers

Ray
  11. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ian,
    Thanks mate, yeah leaning back is the way to go now, hopefully it's ready for the White Rose:)

Hi Dan,
    Thank mate, looking forward seeing the photo's of the Lance you made, I always like to see how other people do things and it may be something I can incorporate into my 2 builds.

Hi Paul,
    Thanks mate, I loved your WW1 Lancer and if I can get mine anywhere near yours I'll be very happy. The girth of the horse is massive and that's about as low as I can get him. The excess gap on the original was taken up by a raised Napoleonic saddle, if that makes sense.

Hi Mat,
    Thanks mate and thanks for the suggestion. Nothing is fixed on the rider only blue tacked together, so I'll make sure the foot positioning are correct to the knee alignment.

Hi Colin,
    Thanks mate, yeah the horse pose is a cracker and that's what drew me to it. Saying that, I would not have purchased this new just for the horse as it's £90 kit.

Hi Ray,
    Thanks mate, I really did enjoy your unique 120mm mounted projects, very inspirational.

Thank you all for chipping in with suggestions, please keep them coming as I move forward with this.
    cheers
    Richie
  12. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Looking really good Richie.
    A cracking horse pose' little wonder it was more than just assembly. You nailed it though.
    For the jockey pose, I find a lump of blue tak and a bit of time gets you to where you want to be.
    This one is showing great scope for sculpting skills and expectation from the watching throng.
    Press on Mate you are doing a fine job,
    Keith
  13. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Looks great so far Richie, love the movement of the horse & rider (y)
    Cheers
    Jim
  14. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Keith & Jim,
    Thank you lads, early days yet and loads to do (2 fold), just off for a lot of sanding.:(
    cheers
    Richie:)
    KenBoyle and Wings5797 like this.
  15. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Richie - As promised - photos of the bamboo lance. I've only finished or nearly finished the wood part. Looks like it might be an improvement to add more well-defined rings using putty.

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

Nap, Wings5797 and Richie like this.
  16. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Stick at it Richie...it's going to end up looking really great (y)
    Cheers
    Jim
    Richie likes this.
  17. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The rider's pose is just right for a horse clearing an obstacle. I shall look forward to further progress.

Mike
    Richie likes this.
  18. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    This is looking the dog's B*******, sorry Horse's. Great pose and full of action.
    Wings5797 and Richie like this.
  19. Helm A Fixture

England
    Hi Richie, just showed this to Mrs Helm and she agrees with Paul that you need to set the man as low as he can go on the horse. A rider at the gallop's natural instinct is to sit further forward towards the horses neck. Hope this is of some use. She also added she only has experience with roping rather than lances :cautious: as per second video
    Steve
    Couple of videos that might help

Wings5797 and Richie like this.
  20. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I would agree that the rider should be low in the saddle when charging with the lance, but when clearing an obstacle the style in the nineteenth century was for the rider to be seated as you have modelled. A rider seated too far forward will come off when the horse lands - there are plenty of examples of this in the showjumping and eventing world.

Mike
    Wings5797 likes this.