1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 1/9 Lt. Tyneside Irish (25th NF) Somme 1916

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Apr 27, 2013.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Started this beautifully sculpted (by Igor Danilkin) Exclusive Range bust by Stormtroopers. It is a Lt. & Bombing Officer of the 2nd Tyneside Irish Battalion (25th Service Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers) as he would have appeared on July 1, 1916. He's from the same division as my earlier George McCrae bust so that's a nice theme for my display cabinet.

The four battalions of the Tyneside Irish, consisting of Newcastle men of Irish descent, were brigaded together, as were the four battalions of the Tyneside Scottish. All of the units in 34th Division took devastating casualties on the first day of the Somme, in fact their losses were among the worst. The two Tyneside brigades were well in the rear and they started their attack at the same time the first assault battalions went over the top. They began their advance on a hill called the Tara Usna Line and were exposed to German machine gun fire throughout their advance. Accordingly they suffered devastating casualties even before the got to the British front line trenches.

Here is a famous photo of the Tyneside Irish Brigade advancing over the crest of a Picardie hilltop on July 1. Note the rifles carried at the slope.

somme-fh81.jpg

I am painting the bust in various acrylic and inks, as per usual. Here is my progress on his face so far - a couple of hours this morning - shown as a series of shots.

P1010003.JPG P1010007.JPG P1010009.JPG P1010012.JPG P1010013.JPG P1010014.JPG P1010017.JPG P1010019.JPG

Still lots more to do on his face.

Colin
    chris1, Trep, tiberius57 and 5 others like this.
  2. Helm A Fixture

England
    Looking very nice Colin

Steve
    crf likes this.
  3. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Good start, good background info.
    I hope you continue with these step by step pics and back them with your paint mixes. Even this early on, I can already see your particular paint style showing through.

Carry on MacDuff

Colin
    crf likes this.
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Sorry Colin.

Eyes were liquitex pro off unbleached tit as a base. Lined with raw umber. Added a heavily diluted dk red wash. Corneas in Golden acrylics - base raw umber; mid - raw umber and burnt umber; highlights with burnt umber; high highlights added some ochre. Tried a catchlight but looked dumb under the peak of his cap. Pupils gloss black.

Base flesh was Vallejo (V) 830 Brown Rose.
    Darkened with some V diluted Red Leather.
    Mixed this shade with diluted Citadel purple ink and did first shadows under chin, collar groove, aroound nose, under brows etc.
    Needed to egt some yellow into the flesh so I applied a thin coat of V 72.036 Bronze Flesh (from their wargames line) to the highlights.
    Used diluted raw umber liquitex ink for the shadows (around nose, wrinkles etc).
    Used pure raw umber ink in deep shadows (corner of eyes, ear canals, nostrils).
    Used diluted V Basic skin tone to marry the bronze flesh with the previous redder undercoat of flesh.
    Washed in certain areas with diluted liquitex red oxide ink to brink out the reds a bit in his cheeks, brow, temples, nose etc.

That's where he's at so far.

Colin
    tiberius57 and ChaosCossack like this.
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Nice work so far.

marc
    crf likes this.
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Perfect... Carry on
    crf likes this.
  7. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Perfect start! I'm with you mate and the painting details are all going in my notebook! (y)
    Thanks Colin for another very nice sbs!
    Cheers mate,
    Zeno :)
    crf likes this.
  8. HIKARU_REMOVED Guest

Japan
    Great start, Colin.:woot:
    I am looking forward to the progress.;)

Mitsutaka:)
    crf likes this.
  9. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    DEL, Wings5797, ChaosCossack and 3 others like this.
  10. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    This guy is looking great Colin, keep it up (y)!!

Joe
    crf likes this.
  11. Dennis Active Member

England
    Great start on a great model Colin, thanks for the info on your use of inks in your face painting process. I hope you keep posting as I for one will keep an eye on your progress.
    Cheers
    Dennis
    crf likes this.
  12. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Very impressive Colin.
    Carl.(y)
    crf likes this.
  13. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks gents. I'm happy to post colours and media etc. as I proceed. I am experimenting with using the inks more than usual so you will have to forgive me if there is a fiasco. For the first time I am using inks and water as a diluting medium in Vallejos....I like the way a 1/3 mix of ink, water and paint work in certain areas of the face. The inks are very high pigment so almost always have to be diluted. Also, you have to be aware of pooling as when undiluted ink dries it recedes and leaves a ring.

You can see the ink better under the harsh light of a flash. This is way more contrasty than he appears to the eye though.

I am still working on the face even as I move to his cap. I have to eliminate some of the purple around his nose and upper eye lids. But I like the purple and raw umber inks for simulating trench warfare sleep deprivation and fatigue.

I also need to touch up the white of his right eye and mute the dark shadow under his lower lip. Macro photography is great for quality control. ;)

ink.jpg

Colin
  14. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Looking good Colin... You're really getting the haggard look of time in the trenches... and the bust is showing it too, Har Har

Colin
    crf likes this.
  15. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Really good, "distant " look. Fantastic job, so far,

Steve(y)
    crf likes this.
  16. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks gents...here's better and more accurate shot in natural daylight. Started work on his cap and on his cap badge. The nice thing about Liquitex (L) pro bottled acrylics is that they can be applied like a paste (much like oils out of the tube). The badge is L green ochre then L naples yellow, then naples yellow + V parchment....washed first with a mix of highly diluted burnt umber and ochre inks and then with undiluted L gold ink.

The British Khaki base is 50:50 of V British Tankcrew & V Medium Fleshtone with a dab of raw umber Golden). Lightened once so far with a bit if V Beige mixed in. Then washed with L raw umber ink to bring out the creases, seams and shadows.

P1010022a.jpg

Colin
    Don, john din, tiberius57 and 3 others like this.
  17. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    The colouring in of the cap really starts to give context to the skintones... The shirt and the jacket will serve to do this even more. Is the Liquitex manufactured as an ink or have you thinned down their regular paint to suit this purpose?
    crf likes this.
  18. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Its actually an ink in a glass bottle with a rubber eye dropper top. They have various colours and metallics. I was looking for something to replace Citadel as they dropped ther ink line and I am really happy with these. A little goes a loooooong way and you get alot for your $ vs. citadel. Available at Curries i think. I got mine at Above Ground Art Supplies next to OCAD. Best art store in TO if you haven't been.

Colin
  19. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    OCAD? Where in the GTA is that? I either use the Curries in Markham (that's the closest) or the one on Yonge St. (it's pretty big and has a good selection).
    I've not heard of Above Ground, might be worth a visit... any excuse to hop on the bike and go for a ride ;)
    crf likes this.
  20. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    OCAD - Ontario College of Art and Design across from the AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario) - I think on Baldwin. I'm not sure its worth a special trip but it is better than Curries. Relatively good prices too.

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.