1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 1/5 Gourgaud - painting

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Jul 18, 2014.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Undercoated in acrylics to show the colours to come and overall composition.. I think I will paint him in oil (save the face that is). The portefeuile is modelled on these actual ones from an Osenat auction catalogue.

Colin

P1010208sml.jpg P1010209sml.jpg P1010206sml.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg
    pmfs, ChaosCossack and napoleonpeart like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Colin ,

It just gets better ....cheers for the details on the bicorne ..in my book!

Nap
    crf likes this.
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Nap. Just finished his aiguilettes except for the pickers. Ah yes, an afternoon of bliss spent with braided twine and super glue. My fingers are covered so I have something to chew on til supper.

Thanks to Empire Costume's great web site for detailed reconstruction pictures of this uniform. My lacework is based on the Musee de l'Armee portrait of Gourgaud previously posted by Ivo Preda.
    http://en.empirecostume.com/uniform-of-officier-d-ordonnance-de-l-empereur-colonel-c78-a1652.htm

Colin

P1010217sml.jpg

P1010212.JPG P1010213.JPG P1010214.JPG P1010215.JPG

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  4. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Looks awesome so far Colin... I expect nothing less now ;)
    I love that blue tone. What did use use as a mix for that particular mid-blue?

Colin
    crf likes this.
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Just the base Colin. It's a mix of 2/3 Vallejo Game Color Sombre Grey and 1/3 Vallejo Royal Blue. I will not be painting him in the sky blue often seen including in the Empire Costume recreation. Instead I will be going for the darker steel or corn flower blue seen in these period illustrations and in the attached colour swatch.

Colin

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Colin
    Would you say VG sombre grey would more or less match up with VM grey blue? The base you have made would work perfectly as the mid blue I need for my Zouave's sash.
    crf likes this.
  7. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Likely Colin....it's a darkish blue/grey....quite rich. I don't own the VM grey blue to compare it to.

Cheers

Colin
  8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Sounds about right, thanks Colin.

Colin
  9. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Today's work.

Oils done on the lapels and collar. Uniform is equally French ultramarine + viridian, lightened with titanium white.

Lace is burnt umber and white in various combinations progressing toward mostly white. Still more high highlights to come.

Colin

P1010220sml.jpg

P1010231.JPG P1010234.JPG
  10. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Some more progress. Jacket colour still being determined.

P1010258sml.jpg

P1010249.JPG P1010251.JPG P1010252.JPG P1010255.JPG
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Stunning lacework. Really impressive work

Nap
    crf likes this.
  12. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Today's progress....still lots to do including aiguilettes, more on jacket, hat tassels and cockade retainer, feathers etc.

P1010263sml.jpg

P1010268.JPG P1010276.JPG
  13. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Awesome uniform paint.

Cheers,
    Pedro.
    crf likes this.
  14. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Ho, ho, ho......nice one, mate(y)

So I'm clear.....lace/braid = black undercoat, burnt umber+white working to white.....has to be more to it than that. Seems too easy;)
    crf likes this.
  15. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Paul. Undercoat is uniform blue recipe darkened with sepia. Then burnt umber + white (to a cafe latte shade); 2 highlights adding progressively more white. All wet on wet. Then high highlights picked out in pure white. I usually paint in acrylic but I like the way the oil merges in the lacing. May try more of it in future.

Cheers Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  16. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Mostly done except minor touch ups, his portefeuille and dull coat and base work. Bad iPad shots.

Colin

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg image.jpg
    tiberius57 and ChaosCossack like this.
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Colin ,

OMG that is a fine piece of work ...what don't I like about ......Nothing ..lacework really effective against the uniform colour .

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    crf likes this.