1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 1/5 Gourgaud - painting

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Jul 18, 2014.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Here is my completed 1/5 bust of Chef d'Escadron Gaspard Gourgaud in 1813. Gourgaud is the most famous of Napoleon's Officiers d'Ordonnance, his senior aides who are famous for their resplendent cornflower blue and silver uniforms. Gourgaud accompanied Napoleon to St. Helena for his second exile. Model is sculpey firm and twine.

I still need to add his aiguilettes and I may still play with his right arm but for all intents and purposes I am calling this one done.

Colin

P1010136sml.jpg

P1010143.JPG P1010142.JPG P1010139.JPG
    P1010141.JPG P1010140.JPG P1010138.JPG
    P1010122.JPG P1010126.JPG P1010127.JPG
  2. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Beautiful work as usual Colin, you must have the patience of a saint.
    crf likes this.
  3. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    stunning work as usual Colin, IMHO I cant understand why you don't make these commercial, OK so they are big but im sure there would be plenty out there that would buy these, even if you made them limited pieces
  4. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    As always stunning work mate. I love your sculpts. Im with Paul.........
    crf likes this.
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Not really Scotty. I have the lace down to an art. I did his whole coat in a couple of hours this morning. Have to say I am really enjoying the large scale Napoleonic personalities right now. The look very imposing when painted up. Thanks.

Colin
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Paul and Chris - thanks for the vote of confidence. Two reasons not to do these commercially: no none would able to afford a resin casting of that size, especially with postage costs; and I would not be able to do the lace in an hour (I would have to finely engineer and balance everything). Then I would need the patience of a saint. :) I like to sculpt and paint a bit like canvas painting, indicating rather than precisely sculpting some detail.

Thanks again.

Colin
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  7. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Colin, you definitely are a man with a mission, another beauty (y)!

Joe
    crf likes this.
  8. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Hi Colin, you always make me happy :)
    Still trying to grab your big Ney out of you, if you run out of space :) the only piece I want for myself :)
    You are pushing the boundaries as every piece you do is superb, but prior is also
    I think now you are justified as a sculptor as much as painter and you always produce a likeness that is a very very hard thing to achieve.
    Thanks mate, from a Nap fan to another, beautiful work every time
    Best wishes mate
    Gra
    napoleonpeart and crf like this.
  9. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks gents. I am in the groove at the moment for sure Gra. Hope I stay that way. Not sure about your likeness comment. Its far easier to get a passable likeness to a single Napoleonic canvas portrait than it is to a WWII officer like Monty or Rommel who was photographed form every angle. But I am enjoying improving and learning. Glad you like them. If you are ever over here Gra you can have the tour of chez Fraser and visit the Marechal. :)

Colin
    Gra30 likes this.
  10. swralph A Fixture

Exellent sculpting
    crf likes this.
  11. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    This morning's initial flesh tone work.

image.jpg image.jpg
  12. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Nothing better then the groove and you have it the pocket! (Now the drummer is talking... :LOL:)
    Cheers mate! Following closely!
    Zeno
    crf and pmfs like this.
  13. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Proceed sir!

Cheers
    crf likes this.
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    More face. Hair and bicorne just undercoated.

1.jpg

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg
    6.jpg 7.jpg 55.jpg
    Tonton, Bassman, ChaosCossack and 2 others like this.
  15. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Thanks Colin :) and as said looking superb :)
    Your painting looks very much like a portrait, a lot of depth which I like a lot
    crf likes this.
  16. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Gra...I am still trying to settle on a particular style. This one is quite different from Fournier. Lots of ink washes on this one. I think I am switching to oils for his bicorne.

Cheers

Colin
  17. Captain Lol A Fixture

Belgium
    Great face .(y)
    crf likes this.
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Lovely work on the lace. Fleshtones are coming on a treat

Looking forward to seeing more

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    crf likes this.
  19. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    That's some truly impressive painting on the face so far, Colin.
    Can't wait to see more! Great work
    crf likes this.
  20. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks for the comments.

First oils on his bicorne and hair. There are three different blacks in the bicorne - the hat itself, the border lace and the feather trim. All are from different materials and would likely have appeared subtly different. For the bicorne I used a mix of black and sepia, highlighted with raw umber. For the lace, black and brown madder alizarin, highlighted flesh. For the feathers, blue-black lightened with titanium white. Both the lace and feathers will be glazed with a black wash once the first oils are dry.

One of the nice things about providing this colour detail is that I know where to find it next time. My Vbench is my own personal notebook for colour mixes.

Colin

P1010194sml.jpg