1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 1/16 Fallschirmjager

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ausf, Nov 8, 2013.

1. ausf Active Member

United-States
    I'm trying my hand at camo patterns (and figure painting in general) with Jeff Shui's FS 42.

I assembled with Aves (I know I should have painted first) then primer with Vallejo grey poly. I basecoated the smock with Panzer Aces Splinter base, masked and over sprayed with PA splotches I and II. After I sprayed the PA splinters through a makeshift mask from scrap photo etch.

fa1.jpg ja2.jpg fa3.jpg fa4.jpg fa5.jpg fa6.jpg fa7.jpg fa8.jpg fa9.jpg

If you see anything I'm doing wrong, please jump in, this is all new to me and I'm feeling my way through.
    caramba, Diegoff, yeo_64 and 2 others like this.
  2. Ferris A Fixture

Painting camo can be hard, but airbrushing hard-edged camo like this must be so much harder. You earn my respect for that masking job, geez!
    It looks good, both colours and pattern. Personally I would not have tried to airbrush the rain pattern, because it seems difficult for the mask to follow the drapery everywhere, but the result is looking good.
    I suggest to apply a very subtle 'filter' over everything to bind the colours together and achieve some aging. Why not use the airbrush for that as well!?

Cheers,
    Adrian
  3. ausf Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Adrian.

I'm an armor modeler at heart, so the masking was the natural way to go for me. My next step would be a clear coat, then filters, washes and dry pigments. I may get brave and try to spray a filter like you suggest.

I had the same reservation regarding the hard mask and folds, my plan is to go in a hand brush some areas.

Should I detail the harness and belt before filtering/aging the fabric or after?
  4. Ferris A Fixture

Up to you of course, but personally I would do the belt and harness after the uniform is finished. This can give an attractive contrast.

Cheers,
    Adrian