1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1/10 SBS Falkland islands

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Steve Brodie, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    For father’s day, I had this from the teenagers, Mookie Miniatures SBS bust. Comes in a substantial cardboard box, with the completed bust painted on the front cover by Peter Day . Parts are very well packed in shredded paper. Torso, Bergan, Arms and head in one bag, hands and bits and bobs in another, the rile is packed with a cardboard back, to protect the weapon. All looks very sharp, and not a lot to clean up. Looking forward to getting started on him soon, having just finished my Kamikaze Bust probably have a break for a few days;

IMG_2278.JPG IMG_2280.JPG IMG_2282.JPG
    oldtrousers, BillW, phil_h and 5 others like this.
  2. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    As it was quite nice last night, decided to clean up all the parts of the bust in the best room in the house for cuting, sawing, sanding resin - the garden room [IMG]. I have a spare pair of sprue cutters, which i now use to remove the main parts of the resin plugs, then a couple of 'chisel blades' to remove the reset - they are very sharp as two of my finger tips can confirm [IMG]. Next up will be pinning to some cork holders and a spray tan of grey primer.

Bluetack attached main pieces;

IMG_2325.JPG IMG_2326.JPG
    BillW, Grod, Scotty and 2 others like this.
  3. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking forward to see this progressing.
  4. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Quick update; so got all the bits out together and blue tacked the ammo pouches, side-arm holder, canteen, compass pouch and escape pack to the torso, to get an idea of where things will go;

SBS-prepaint (2 of 5).jpg SBS-prepaint (3 of 5).jpg SBS-prepaint (4 of 5).jpg

Then added the arms and the weapon in place to see how that all sat together - and it all looks good.

SBS-prepaint (1 of 5).jpg

All the pieces were then 'pinned' with cutup paper clips, so that when i put everything together, i should be able to match the pinned items to holes i will drill into the torso. Hopefully this way will also give me a bit of 'playing time' when i add the hands to the arms and fix in the M16. Well thats the theory anyway.

SBS-prepaint (5 of 5).jpg

Everything has now been primed, so onto the face next week. The pouches and backpack, will be sprayed and using methods very similar to painting tanks will follow the black and white method.

Having found the following image, quite a lot of images about the SBS on the Falklands, good for my research. I enquired on a closed Facebook group about the camouflage on the hand grip of the M16, general consensus being that it was coloured tape/ black duct tape, though scrim, bits of cut up sandbags/ old uniforms were also used. The 'pouch' under the rifle been a Field dressing. I will add suitable sized painted tape to my M16, along with the field dressing, and also adding camouflage paint to his face.

95098e05d1546fe7d3ff7ad73dd8feee.jpg
    Nap and Henk like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve

Nice start on this , looking forward to seeing this progress ..especially the camo

Like the addition of the field dressing

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  6. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Nap,

As for the camo, yep will be interesting, don't think I have tried DPM before :( , mind if I can paint this (1/35) German tanker camo I might be okay in the long run :)

4.jpg
    Nap and Henk like this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve

Blooming heck I can hardly see the figure yet alone the camo ....brilliant job

Why not put something into FOTM as well

Nap
  8. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    very kind, not quite good enough i think for FOTM at the moment.
  9. Nap Moderator

England

What you got to be joking ...I put my stuff in !

Entirely up to you Steve ..just for fun !

Happy camo

Nap
  10. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Dont know about anyone else, but found this heat in the uk to hot to paint in. Maybe because when i get home from being in a glass building on the 10th floor facing the sun for 8hrs without any air con i am totally whacked and dozing off by 8pm, plus been continually warm (shorts even in the winter). Anyhow the paints have arrived for the DPM. Hopefully it will snow soon and i can get back to painting.

Camo colours.jpg
    Nap likes this.
  11. Berserker Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve

I hope you wont mind a little criticism. I realise modelling is open to our own interpretation put I would like to make a point that the ammo pouches on the 58 pattern webbing are attached to the belt by clips on the rear but also via the yoke that goes over the shoulders. With this in mind the front ammo pouches would in my mind be aligned with the yoke straps that are visible on the bust.

Apart from this I too look forward to the finished bust especially the cammo as I've tried to do that myself, in fact my model is in the completed models section under PVCP.

P1060860.jpg
    Nap and Scotty like this.
  12. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Nope dont mind at all, I was just placing them on the bust to see how it will all go together and your right, as i found out with this image from the web;

07010_BKIT-3_grande.jpg
  13. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    First time for a few weeks where i havent been busy, and it was cool enough sitting outside last night to get cracking on with this bust. So first off, getting the eyes sorted, after about an hour / hour and a half got to this;

IMG_2519.jpg

Looking a bit like Boris Karloff in the 1932 classic 'The Mummy'

But once cutt back, he looks a little more 'human';

IMG_2524.jpg IMG_2525.jpg IMG_2528.jpg
  14. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    'All fingers and Thumbs'

By the ime i had finished painting the gate and fence panel, had tea it was getting late to start fully fleshing out his face, but to not waste, what i thought would be a few minutes, i started on his fingers - a good hour later we got here;

IMG_2549.jpg IMG_2550.jpg IMG_2553.jpg

Will need to dirty up his nails a bit, to clean at the mo. Left a few black straggles on his fingers on purpose , may go green on the gloves
    BillW and Nap like this.
  15. Mookie Well-Known Member

Great work Steve.Carry on the good work fella.
    Richard.
  16. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Had a change of heart and decided on Green Fingerless gloves, so painted them green, shaded with a darker wash and highlighted with ,well, a lighter tone. Also added some grime to his fingers and nails. Also gave me chance to see how the 'pin' idea' would come together.

IMG_2568.jpg IMG_2571.jpg IMG_2565.jpg IMG_2574.jpg

Whilst i had the green mixes 'out' painted in his woollen hat, following the same techniques. After all were dry they were given a couple of coats of AK Ultra Matt Varnish.

IMG_2578.jpg IMG_2580.jpg IMG_2583.jpg

Next ; time to 'flesh' his face.
    BillW and Berserker like this.
  17. Mookie Well-Known Member

Comming along nicely Steve.Keep going fella.
    All the best from Mr.Mookies.
  18. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Managed to get a couple of hours in painting last night, and ended up with this;

IMG_2640.jpg IMG_2644.jpg IMG_2647.jpg

Camo paint for his face next, not sure though ?
    BillW, Berserker and Nap like this.
  19. Nap Moderator

England
    Looking good Steve

To camo or not that is the question ? ....Mmmmm I would at least dirty him up a bit or maybe a heavier 5 oc'clock shadow

Following with interest

Nap
  20. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Not much done for a while, what with work and other 'life' things , but got round to applying camo to his face last night. I was away on holiday all last week, so didnt take him with me - by time get brushes out, paints mixed it would be late in the evening and caravan lighting isnt the best. Camo is from an oil based pastel and applied with micro make up brushes, which are not the smoothest in the world, but that adds to the rough nature of the application. Went with dark brown, as suggested by a couple of guys on FB, who were in the forces at the start of the 80's.

IMG_2695.JPG IMG_2701.JPG IMG_2697.JPG
    BillW and Nap like this.