1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Герой витка

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Warning - these pictures are gruesome!

The second figure is a commission, based on another Karachtchouk illustration from the same book. This time a rifleman in winter clothing. This 1919 uniform is very unusual in design. First - a budenka or budyonnovka cap with flaps worn down. Second - a wraparound overcoat with three flap and button holders, a slash pocket, and big thick fold-down cuffs. A very strange-looking coat.

My customer wanted the rifleman posed as a corpse, shot to death and frozen in a large shell-hole. The figure is lying on its side stretched out as if he was running when he fell. This is a variation of a pose that John Long used recently. Sorry about that, John! I thought it was so good and right for my subject, I couldn't resist.

I should probably explain that the figure is partly embedded in the papier-mache shell hole or frozen mud. To better show the figure, I've photographed it from some unusual angles and I'm playing around with lighting effects.

Roger Newsome will be painting it and he will be adding lots of ice and snow to the base, which is made of papier-mache. This is a WIP and I need to add a Mosin-Nagant rifle, an ammo pouch and a smaller red star insignia within the large red star on the cap. Etc,etc.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Your comments and critique are very welcome!

All the best,
    Dan
  2. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Dan, I Ilike it, very original. I've been following your progress as a sculptor for quite some time now,and I must say, you are turning into a very good sculptor,
    my compliments.

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  3. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    I agree with Rocco,I think the tip is many hours of practice!
    keep up
    christos
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Another cracker Dan. This one will provide some new challenges for me. I'm looking forward to next leave and being able to get on with these two Russians.

Roger.
  5. Gorobey Member

Germany
    Very interesting work! (y)
    Only the name is not exact in Russian variant a little. "Герой Революции."
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Nicely done Dan,
    Great sculpting on this unusual object.

Marc
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Many thanks, gentlemen! I appreciate all the encouragement! :)

Evgeny - Герой Революции not Герой витка, who knew? :( You can blame the Altavista translation program and thanks for the correction!

All the best,
    Dan
  8. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hey , that's something really different and you pulled it off nicely. Well done

Stephen Mallia
  9. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hey Dan !
    GREAT JOB on your latest sculpt !!! It's really not easy to model dead soldiers and I think that you've pulled this one off rather nicely !!! My compliments, my friend. Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  10. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    The figure looks good so far.
    I think it's very difficult to sculpt a figure that's lying down.
    Also, it's quite hard to pull off this type of subject tastefully.
    Dan, I think you have done a great job here so far. :)

TS
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan, When you mentioned the uniform/unit the Osprey came to mind right away. I was surprised to see the uniform on a corpse. This is going to make for an interesting collection for sure.~Gary
  12. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Many thanks Stephen, Kenneth, Taesun and Gary for your kind and encouraging comments! Much appreciated! I should finish up everything this weekend and be able to start on the next project, the Dead Stretcher Bearer using the Gilbert Rogers painting as my reference. I'm already putting the armature together. Kreston Peckham will be painting that one.

All the best,
    Dan
  13. Gorobey Member

Germany
    " three flap and button holders "-"Разговоры" The Form of an overcoat as well as the form of a cap repeat forms of traditional Russian clothes which carried up to Peter Great. The form have developed in such style with a view of a raising of Patriotism in Army. But in Army the uniform to get was not in time before Revolution.
  14. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the insight Evgeny! To my non-Russian eyes, it looks really unusual still but it makes the use of the style more understandable.

All the best,
    Dan
  15. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    looks very good and original to me
  16. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thank you, Patrick! You are most kind!

All the best,
    Dan
  17. Gorobey Member

Germany
    This Reference will be interesting to probably you.
    The text there only in Russian ,unfortunately, but good pictures.
    If there will be questions to the text always is ready to help. :)
  18. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Too COOL! Many thanks Evgeny!!

All the best,
    Dan
  19. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Finished! I added a Mosin-Nagant rifle and some additional pumice paste here and there to make things fit properly and snugly. Hope you like it! As usual, your comments and critique are welcome!

This and another figure will soon be sent over the pond to Roger Newsome, who will, no question whatsoever, work his magic on them both!! ;)

All the best,
    Dan

First a reminder of what the uniform looks like...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]